Primary donation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The long hose fouls my snorkel. Yes, I still wear a snorkel and I intend to continue doing so.

Of course, my DH reg fouls the snorkel too!

Then there is the short inflator hose on the DSS rig that also gets confused with the snorkel.

There's a theme here...

Richard

Yeah, get a soft of foldable snorkel that you can carry in a pocket.

With your backup bunged around your neck, there is no excuse not to breath on it before the dive...it is there taunting your lips.

It is very easy to check the backup during the dive as well. I just make it the part of my flow check procedure during the dive. Takes seconds, done automatically. I always know it is working.

Buddy breathing.

Part of the described situation assumed that BB was not possible. With PADI's removal of this skill, chances are higher that your buddy will be unable to do this in the future.

Part of the described situation assumed that BB was not possible. With PADI's removal of this skill, chances are higher that your buddy will be unable to do this in the future.

then everybody dies.
:wink:
you just killed everyone DCBC. hope you're proud of yourself.

While not placing a rescuer at risk is a good thing, I don't think it can be considered an absolute, and should be seen in context. Me going out of door of a helicopter on a steel cable to get to a patient places me, the patient, and the crew, at some increased risk, but we do it when we think the benefit outweighs that risk. Similarly, donating my primary puts me at some risk in the sense that my bungeed, tested secondary might fail, but not nearly as much as the OOA diver would face in grabbing a mucked up octo, or worse, a regulator connected to a hot deco gas that might be lethal for him to breath.

If you donate your primary and your secondary doesn't work, that sounds like Darwinian selection to me. Hopefully since you are not as panicked as the OOG diver, you'll have the presence of mind to trouble shoot the scenario or set up to buddy breath.

Your buddy doesn't know how to buddy breath (as per PADI standards). How do you trouble shoot? He's breathing on your Primary which is attached to you. Your holding your breath. Further questions?

While not placing a rescuer at risk is a good thing, I don't think it can be considered an absolute, and should be placed in context. Me going out of door of a helicopter on a steel cable to get to a patient places me, the patient, and the crew, at some increased risk, but we do it when we think the benefit outweighs that risk. Similarly, donating my primary puts me at some risk in the sense that my bungeed, tested secondary might fail, but not nearly as much as the OOA diver might face in grabbing a mucked up octo, or worse, a regulator connected to a hot deco gas which might be lethal for him to breath.

Hopefully your "Technical Diver" buddy, knows how to buddy breathe. :)

then everybody dies.
:wink:
you just killed everyone DCBC. hope you're proud of yourself.

Perhaps you might see my post on "Deep Solo Wreck Dive" in the lessons learned section. It has some similarities with this discussion. :)

Perhaps you might see my post on "Deep Solo Wreck Dive" in the lessons learned section. It has some similarities with this discussion. :)

just read it.
there's so much going on in that scenario I don't know where to start lol
anyhow, I don't think it applies here. if the dude can't buddy breathe he's either going to learn really quickly or do a CESA.
and like I said, this situation isn't likely to ever happen to anyone

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom