Primary light for under $100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

misha2

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am trying to find a good primary light for under $100. DRIS has a 1000 lm for @ $75 and I found Sea Elite at about the same. Has anyone ever had problems with these brands or recomend any other brand. Thanks!

Check out the big blue lights. They have a combo pack available for a 1200 and a 250, I think. Great inexpensive lights.

I have a couple BigBlue lights and three DRIS lights. There may be different models, but the BB lights are far too wide for the waters in New England where I dive. The DRIS 1k has a tight beam angle and cuts through particulate like butter. I've abused the heck out of it and it keeps on going. Can't recommend it enough.

Big blue has a narrow or wide beam option in the 1200 size

For under $100 my first choice would be the DRIS 1k, and a close second would be the Dive Rite DGX 600. Both penetrate murky water quite well. The DRIS 1k has a superior burn time of three hours or more, running on three C-cells. The DGX 600 uses a li-ion 18650, and has a burn time of one hour or more, depending on the battery capacity.

I will be mostly diving the Great Lakes so I need a good beam that can cut through the murkyness

I am trying to find a good primary light for under $100. DRIS has a 1000 lm for @ $75 and I found Sea Elite at about the same.
I've got both, they're similar enough that I'm pretty sure it's the same light with different engraving. Probably some company offering products customized for a given LDS. There's no shortage of that in the dive industry so it's not without precedent either. Anyway, they're good lights if you don't mind the size. Bright, reasonable runtimes for most folks.

I have been using the DRIS lights since they first came out, I have not had one issue with these lights. The 3C offers great burn time and the shorty works good as a backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom