Primer vs. Fundies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eugene thanks for starting a great post. & thanks to all those who have responded.

I have a question regarding exposure suits. Does either class require a drysuit? Just curious because I know most of the DIR folks dive dry. I know that locally, So Cal, we can rent all the gear for the classes.

I will say that you do NOT want to enter into your Fundies class with gear like a dry suit that you are not already pretty comfortable in, and have experience with. Did that with my primer class. New dry suit, first real dives with BP/W, etc. :shocked2: :idk: :rofl3:
Went back to the good old wetsuit for my Fundies class, just because it was one less task I had to think about while trying to master many other new skills.

Can you take a primer course if you don't own a bp/w? Will the instructor rent you a bp/w and give some instruction on any significant differences between a traditional BCD?

Can you take a primer course if you don't own a bp/w? Will the instructor rent you a bp/w and give some instruction on any significant differences between a traditional BCD?

Prior to your class, tell the instructor the items that u do not have for the training, i am sure he or she will set u up the the gear that is necessary for the class:D

A backplate is required for the Primer, as well as for Fundies. I would guess most GUE instructors either have gear to rent for the classes, or know where it can be had. They will all instructor about how to properly utilize a backplate and wing setup and how to adjust it.

The best way to find out how a given instructor wants to manage his class is to contact him. You can find the list of GUE instructors on the GUE website, under Diver Education.

Last summer when I decided to take Bob Sherwood's primer, and then later Fundies classes I did not own, and had never dived with a BP/W. Bob was willing to supply one, which, after the very first dive I decided to purchase.

I found the adjustment to the BP/W instantaneous for the most part (dry suit not quite so!). I was diving a back inflate Riptide, so there was some similarity already, but to me any/every BCD system is similar, and easy to adapt to, after training with no bcd system originally. I liked the weight in the plate, and the simplicity of the harness system.

Just call your instructor well ahead, and discuss your gear, your needs, and your previous experience, so he or she can be prepared to help you.

Eugene,

Sounds like you've already hooked up with Sam and Henrik (great folks!), but if you need another Fundiesfied diver to practice with I'm happy to come out and dive with you as well. Just drop me a line. Trying to get some boat charters going for the local crowd this season also.

Best,
Ari

Hi Ari, thanks, will do!

You do not need a drysuit to take either course (though they certainly make diving more comfortable!).

Well that depends on the conditions, doesn't it?

For almost any diving I can imagine myself doing...not really.

Even in 80F water, I'm quite cold after a few days of diving wet (5mm). For our upcoming trip to Roatan, I'm diving dry. For SoCal, it isn't even a question.

Well that depends on the conditions, doesn't it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom