Princeton Tec Shockwave II question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jamdiver:
There's a rotating switch that goes off--->on---->off on mine and a switch lock that prevents accidental activation of the light.

Like what has been pointed out it looks like part of the blub or the board is dead as it should be off --->on (low) --->on(high) then backwards to turn off <--- and you should be able to notice a big ish change in the light.

I'm pretty sure it comes with a life time warranty unless its your fault.

Yup seems that part of the bulb is blown, I just have one on setting, grrr guess i'll have to have the bulb replaced or send it in for warrantied repair.

Just to make sure, is there still one "click" past the "on" setting? (normally where the 'brighter' setting would be - it's just not getting any brighter?)

D.

Yes there is Daylonius, just a very slight click that is easy to miss.

To be honest i'm not sure if that extra click is another 'on' position or an off position.
As when I turn the switch that extra click or degree of rotation the light goes off.

Sounds like the bulb. I have been using the same light for a few years now - really like it.

Here's a hint - when it's in the off position, the switch should be perfectly squared and you can lock it in place. When it's in the on position, you can't lock and same as high beam position.

If you open the case, you will see the off position (inside the light) is actually to the right (your right - facing the front of the light). the low beam is middle and high beam is left. On my light, there are actually three spaces on the switch that indicate each position. And on the bulb, I can clearly see two filaments.

I also carry an extra bulb with me. Had to use it on my most recent dive trip in Philippines in Nov (Didn't burn out during dive - it burned out before dive). For safety purposes, I also carry back-up lights - I use a UK CL-4 for that and my BCD kit also has a 4 AA Akona light that is attached to my BCD with a retractable wire.

Losing light and diving in the dark is really not something I want to try!

Diver69

I agree with Diver69 - sounds like a faulty bulb. Can't be more than $5 at your local shop I think.. to me it'd be worth it rather than waiting a week or more to send it in for warranty.

D.

Phil, I think it's a shockwave II, the manual says so as does the labelling on the light itself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/Jamdiver/Posts/Princetontec1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/Jamdiver/Posts/princetontec2.jpg

That is the shockwave II right? I mean it's not a re-labeled Shockwave I?
I'll be honest and say that I'm wondering if I was sold something else instead..

Don't want this thread to devolve into something else from what my original query was, but I bought it in person at Leisure Pro.

Diver69 when the switch is turned all the way to the right, the switch lock won't engage, possibly indicating that this is the ON (II) position?

BTW, I have a backup a Princeton tec40, uncomplicated and works fine :D

The only time you can engage the lock is when it's in the OFF position.

I find with my light, the switch is quite distinct - you can definitely feel the click once to the ON position, and then a second click for the High Beam position.

I really do like this light. Looked at the rechargeable - too rich for my blood. I always use Duracell batteries in my light - a little heavy to carry, yes. But they seem to last for a while. I have never counted the number of dives, but my guess is, I did not have to change the batteries for 4-5 night dives (and I usually leave it on the high beam).

I have seen people using HID - that's really way too bright for me. If your partner or anyone you're diving with is not using HID, you tend to ruin their "night vision" when they are using regular halogen light (ie, they can't see as well when your light is not shining at the objects they are looking at - it's like an on-coming car having its high beam on). The HID is nice for taking video at night, but that's about it (IMHO).

Take it back to the shop or to a local LDS - they can diagnose the problem and replace the bulb if that's what it turns out to be.

D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom