probleem with mask clearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brit Girl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all ! I really need some help with my mask clearing! The first time I partially flooded I was fine. Last week I had to take it off and clear it and here the problems started! I took it off, put it back on - no problem and did this quite slowly. I partially cleared it then got a lungful of water and had to abort! I tried 4 times and each time was as bad. I think I have a combination of problems here. I suspect that I am holding my breath but i also think that when my mask is partially filled i must breathe in through my nose and so get the water. I want to do my pool assesment in 3-4 weeks and this is really holding me back. When you only have 50 mins or so each week to sort problems out you dont get much time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I too had some problems with this at first. I just focused on keeping positive presure in my nose and to only breath thru my reg. I think it wa a mental thing for me, getting my brain to seperate the two. Just keep doing it again and again and you will get comfortable with it

one possible solution is when you get the urge to breathe thru your nose just pinch your nose for a few seconds till you get your breathing under control then complete clearing the mask. practice,practice, practice.

I am a confirmed water-lover, and never dreamed I would have a problem with this task. Then - pow, I panicked the first time I had to try this. Personally, I think it's a bad idea that my class had to try this for the first time on snorkel only. We didn't have the luxury of extra breaths thru a reg if we ran out of air before the mask was clear. Hence, the panic on the first try, and mounting lack of confidence with each unsuccessful attempt.

My advice – take it slow, and relax! Put your reg in your mouth but leave your mask off. In the shallow end of the pool, lower slowly until your face is under water. Relax. Practice breathing thru the reg, and get used to having your eyes and nose wet. Relax. When you’re really comfortable with this, put the mask on and try again. Try with just letting a little water in the mask. Relax. When you’re successful, try more water. Relax. Try with a full flood. Relax. Try with mask completely off. You won’t get nervous with your mask off, because you’ve done this before, at the beginning.

Trust me, the worst thing you can do is try to rush this. Remember – this is supposed to be fun! Relax!

Good Luck, and let us know how you make out!

Scuba-sass :)

:teach:
You'll get the hang of it soon enough, but here is an exercise to try.

In the pool (or calm, shallow open water) stand up with your head out of the water, mask off, and breathing from your regulator. Concentrate on slow steady breathing. Lower your head just until your nose is underwater. It's ok to exhale through your nose. You'll know immediately if you try to inhale through your nose. :eek: If so, just stand up.

Repeat this until you can comfortably breathe without getting a nose full of water. Only then should you begin to worry about the mask. Start with a partial flooding and remember that it is not necessary to completely clear the mask in one breath.

Finally, try a fully flooded mask. Remember that you can pause and take several breaths at any time. You do not have to purge the mask with your first breath as soon as your mask is on. You may find it easier to wait until you have taken a few breaths by mouth.

Take it slow and get comfortable do it in steps. Soon it will all be automatic.

I had trouble clearing my mask too. This was the only thing I really found intimidating in the whole class. Here's what I was doing wrong: First, I would leave my nasal passages open for both inhale and exhale. It's hard to describe, but you need to close off your nose (like you do when holding your breath). With your nasal passages closed, you can then inhale through your mouth, and then exhale through your nose. The second thing I was doing wrong was tilting my head way back to clear. When I did this, water wanted to run in my nostrils. To correct this, I clear my head level, and only tilt my head back a little bit and only when almost all of the water is out. The reason for tilting your head back is to get the last bit of water that collects down at the bottom of the mask. I was a bit embarrassed that everyone else seemed to be getting this clearing thing before me (pretty stupid assumption on my part) and I didn't know about this board. I went home and practiced a little in a stationary tub. As soon as I 'got it' life was good.

All these are true - I had a problem because of the difference in water temperature when it hit my face caused me to gasp.
Seriously - it becomes easier with time.
Lots of times if I haven't dove in a few weeks I will go through some basic skills - this being one of them.

Joe

Weezle brought up a very good point. When the water is shocking cold (like diving in my area in early June while temps are still in the 40's) it can be beneficial to just dunk your head underwater without your mask on. That way your face gets used to the temperature and the whole process goes a little more smoothly.

Hi Brit Girl:

Your getting good advice from everyone here. As it’s been said take it slow and don’t rush it, your supposed to be having fun. Spend lots of time in the water with out your mask on. Practice breathing through a snorkel or regulator with out your mask on. The more often you do this the more comfortable you will be in the water. But do this practice in a pool or some other shallow confined water space. Make sure you have someone with you when you do this to offer assistance if needed and to give you support.
Before you know it you’ll be clearing your mask with out even thinking about it. It will just seem to happen on it’s own.

Dive Safe …………………Arduous

Hi All, try this.

I had a lot of trouble with mask clearing even after a lot of hour underwater and decided to figure out just why this was. After spending some time in a pool, I found what was causing almost all of my problems. The air bubbles from my reg were going up my nose when I exhaled and actually pumping water up my nose, just like a bubbler type aquarium pump. The cure was very simple, I just tilted my head forward far enough that the bubbles go up past my ears instead of up my nose, put my mask on while still leaning forward and then after my mask was back on, return my head to the upright position while exhaling through my nose. All of the time breathing normally (except when breathing through the nose to clear the mask). This cured almost all my problems, give it a try. Practice does help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom