Problem with AAUS swim requirement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the videos! The first one was perfect, I can easily see what I'm doing wrong. This technique very much echos my instructor, but just seeing the same thing in a different light is most helpful. The first pull is a bit different, though. I'm to do a power stroke (just like the vid) but then palms flat and hard push until I slap them onto my thighs. Maybe this is just a drill to improve my hand awareness. (?)

I have swim class tonight, so I can put all this to use while it is still fresh in my mind.

Thanks for the videos! The first one was perfect

Huh! They changed the rules again. You were not allowed to do dolphin kick before the hand pull, then they said it's OK during which translated into the kick with palms separated, and now you can do it whenever. I learned something today -- not that I care as I'm not planning to compete again in this lifetime.

(I bet the reason she originally does -- now wrong -- pull-kick then recover both arms and legs at the same time is because she was taught to do it that way: that's what the rules were. Same way I was taught.)

Last edited:
I have to do the 25-yd test every year for my AAUS cert as well. I found that I needed to build up to it starting a couple of weeks in advance, progressing a little farther every swim session. Its the last three or four yards that kills me. I used a breast pull flutter kick, with no real forward motion coming from the kick. (I have little power without fins). This works for me. Luckily the pool where I swim allows 25-yd per breath underwater swims. Plus all the lifeguards know me because I lap swim there three days a week.

I used a breast pull flutter kick, with no real forward motion coming from the kick. (I have little power without fins).

Everyone has little power without fins. Frog kick has the most power but it also creates most drag during recovery: the thighs are basically pushing you backwards. Dolphin kick is the fastest because you can use your entire lower body, not just the legs and you're fully streamlined, with least drag. Flutter kick is neither here nor there.

Everyone has little power without fins. Frog kick has the most power but it also creates most drag during recovery: the thighs are basically pushing you backwards. ...//...
Wow, were you watching my swim class tonight?

Our instructor had us put our hands on our buns, palms facing outward. Push off, try to kick your hands with your heels, try to keep knees together, and do a string of powerful kicks and glides. The tiles start to sail by when the kick finally comes together.

*exhausted*

edit, just found this: Speedo | Breaststroke Technique: Mastering your Kick

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom