Problem with AAUS swim requirement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahhhh! No! I stated that poorly.

I'm only talking about the "arms forward" glide part.

I was squashing my arms against my ears. That puts the head slightly too high and hurts the glide. I get a much better glide just by moving my arms behind my ears. Only a matter of several inches.

Nothing beats good instruction...

Then I go back and look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO8bkqLQ-yU&feature=related

Yep, check out his head position. Watched that vid countless times and never saw it till I was corrected in swim class.

I'm only talking about the "arms forward" glide part.

I know. If you look at dolphin kick in fins/freediving/monofin videos, they all swim that way. There are studies and computer models proving it's more efficient than swimming with arms down to the sides. And yet I always feel more comfortable gliding with hands to the thighs -- that's what I meant.

---------- Post added November 27th, 2015 at 03:53 PM ----------

See, he does kick - glide - pull - glide. I tend to go kick - pull - glide. His way is more even and is probably faster overall because of that. I'm probably faster at the start of the glide and can then relax and watch the tiles fly by for a bit longer. But then I come close to a complete stop when I have to recover both arms and legs and I already lost most of the momentum by then. But since I do it for fun and gliding's the part I actually like...

... See, he does kick - glide - pull - glide. I tend to go kick - pull - glide. ...
I love it!

I never thought that I would get far enough in my swimming to obsess over fine points such as this.

Maybe they should teach swimming before diving. :shocked2:

I never thought that I would get far enough in my swimming to obsess over fine points such as this.

Hehe. Breaststroke is especially funny that way: there is a lot of minute variance in how the top swimmers do it. Wave or no wave, elbows in or out, palms together or down, kick timing, head bobbing, and so on and so forth. :wink:

Add to all that, I'm working just as hard to get ready for a really big cave class next year.

It seems like every time I learn something for swimming, I need to put it aside for diving. So I'm training for TWO sets of "muscle memory".

I'm not ready to file all this in the "Bit off more than I can chew" folder just yet, but it had occurred to me.

Add to all that, I'm working just as hard to get ready for a really big cave class next year.

It seems like every time I learn something for swimming, I need to put it aside for diving. So I'm training for TWO sets of "muscle memory".

I'm not ready to file all this in the "Bit off more than I can chew" folder just yet, but it had occurred to me.

E.g. as a breaststroker (-strokeist? -striker?) I do have a bit of a problem with modified frog kick, yes. My body wants to do the full kick every time: glutes and adductors and everything. The feel for trim and glide, OTOH, seems to work well, especially for SB: it got me out of a jacket and into a BP&W.

Now for complete SB compliance I need a swim style that makes one buy a Petrel.

E.g. as a breaststroker (-strokeist? -striker?) I do have a bit of a problem with modified frog kick, yes. My body wants to do the full kick every time: glutes and adductors and everything.
OMG, Don't even go there. Yeah. Same.
The feel for trim and glide, OTOH, seems to work well, especially for SB: it got me out of a jacket and into a BP&W.
Yeah, that's funny on a higher plane.

Cold and rainy here today, swim class was me and two others. Two instructors. Private lessons!

Surface dives. I suck. Well, I did. Much better now. Lead instructor starts out with hula hoops.:shocked2: Whaaaat???

Pencil position, bend at the waist and glide through it. Several tries, we all got it. Now two hoops. Same deal on first, touch the pool bottom, continue on through the second hoop. We got that too. Now pick up stuff on the bottom, easy stuff. That was fun.

Now she throws a rubberized brick into the deep end. My response was "I hope you don't need that."

Yep, by the end of the class we could all get it to the surface. Graceful comes later...

Now for complete SB compliance I need a swim style that makes one buy a Petrel.
Just pony up and buy the damn thing, you know you want it. Reason has nothing to do with this...

Now she throws a rubberized brick into the deep end. My response was "I hope you don't need that."

Yep, by the end of the class we could all get it to the surface.

For water polo they make you float upright, head and shoulders above water, forearms up, holding two of those things in your hands. Maybe PADI should consider that for their 10-minute float requirement.

For water polo they make you float upright, head and shoulders above water, forearms up, holding two of those things in your hands. Maybe PADI should consider that for their 10-minute float requirement.

I assume you are just trying to be funny. But if you are serious, why do you suggest that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom