Problem with AAUS swim requirement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the 30% is for freestyle and butterfly, not breast stroke. Thanks for correction, was responding to the "whip/dolphin combo looking really efficient" but failed to clarify. About a decade ago the competitive breast stroke pullout was adjusted to something similar to the video that I posted where you are allowed to pull your hands all the way down and give a dolphin kick during the pullout from the wall. Obviously done much faster for competition, but the motions are the same.

Starting to come together.

I started out taking a full breath and "psyching" myself up for the swim. *wrong* *wrong*

Been working on this: How To: Use Apnea Tables - Iron Reef Diving - Spearfishing, Scuba, Freediving - New Orleans, Louisiana

I'll have a lane to myself in a couple of hours so I'll post something later today.

Thanks all!

---------- Post added November 24th, 2015 at 02:38 PM ----------

It is getting pretty obvious that the uncomplicated u/w breast stroke is the way for me to go. Forget the dolphin for now, fun to play with later.

This isn't going to be all that bad. It clicked today. Instead of thinking about dropping my knees to load the kick, I just remember heels to butt, turn feet outward, kick, finish kick, point toes and glide. Piece of cake, spent most of the time watching the ceiling tiles go by with my arms at my side.

Sincere thanks!

This isn't going to be all that bad.

I think that is the important thing to remember. It is good to be prepared, but don't psyche yourself out. Come out, swim a little, dive a little. It will be a good day. I have it on pretty good authority that the divers and DSOs there are a fairly nice bunch of folks...

See you on Jan 31!

Jackie

It clicked today. Instead of thinking about dropping my knees to load the kick, I just remember heels to butt, turn feet outward, kick, finish kick, point toes and glide. Piece of cake, spent most of the time watching the ceiling tiles go by with my arms at my side.

Good. Once you get the feel for the glide, you can swim breaststroke.

It is getting pretty obvious that the uncomplicated u/w breast stroke is the way for me to go. Forget the dolphin for now, fun to play with later.

This isn't going to be all that bad. It clicked today. Instead of thinking about dropping my knees to load the kick, I just remember heels to butt, turn feet outward, kick, finish kick, point toes and glide. Piece of cake, spent most of the time watching the ceiling tiles go by with my arms at my side.

Sincere thanks!

Woohoo!!!! You'll be waving to little kiddos on the other side of the acrylic in no time!

:rofl3:

Nope.

I signed on for cleaning algae and policing the dolphin tanks. Empty, no critters. Yep, I'll even do windows.

I have a newly found respect for aquarium divers...

:D

We were diving with 5 or 6 people from that aquarium a week or so ago in Grand Cayman really nice group of people.

As they explained the requirements for volunteers it seemed challenging but doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:rofl3:

Nope.

I signed on for cleaning algae and policing the dolphin tanks. Empty, no critters. Yep, I'll even do windows.

I have a newly found respect for aquarium divers...

:D

Does that mean you will be issuing tickets to Flipper if he goes too quick??:rofl3::banana:

*groan*

---------- Post added November 25th, 2015 at 11:07 PM ----------

More suffering...

OK, today I was supposed to solo the high tide at Maclearie Park. But no, my swim class met today. (The day before Thanksgiving is often an off-day.)

I showed up, half the class didn't. Body balance in freestyle. I know that they make this stuff up. Rough day.

---------- Post added November 26th, 2015 at 04:15 PM ----------

Have a bit of a time-out from Thanksgiving. Just remembered a valuable tip for my compadres.

Glide position doesn't mean arms together, no gaps, at the side of your head. It means arms together, no gaps, and behind your ears. You will get a lot more glide with this config.

Glide position doesn't mean arms together, no gaps, at the side of your head. It means arms together, no gaps, and behind your ears. You will get a lot more glide with this config.

I always feel like I get more glide with arms to the sides. Never tried to actually measure it to see if it's true or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom