Product Review: Bottom Timer, $18.98

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay

Contributor
Reaction score
How do I tell everyone how cool this thing is?

I went and spent less than $20 at Wal-Mart and bought a new watch. I wanted it to be cheap so that I don't feel bad about beating it up.

The store's got to have 250 different styles of watches for less than $20. In fact, I bought one of the more expensive ones. The mass number of that 250 sold for only $6 or so.

The particular model I got is an Armitron, waterproof up to 50 meters (165 feet, good for all OW, AOW, and nitrox dives). It has, among other things, the all-important stopwatch feature that is necessary to properly gauge your bottom time so that you can stick to your dive plan. It's also got a coundown timer with alarm so that I can set it to let me know when to get out of the water (on my second dive). The numbers are big and bold and easily read underwater. The bezel and surrounding structure is thick and protective, helping to prevent unecessary sratches on the face. The inside light in electroluminescent, and is plenty bright enough to see underwater. The watch even has a band that goes all around my wrist so that if the watch breaks, I don't lose it.

And it matches my wetsuit. I know, silly, but hey, this thing's damn cool looking. :) (Here's a picture: http://www.islc.net/~bayne/images/58.jpg )

And if I destroy it, it's less than $20 to replace.

The actual model that I have is the Armitron M525, and I highly recommend it. Like I said, there were tons of different styles available, but none had quite the face protection, bright el lighting, decent depth ability, and large numbers quite like this one did. It helped that it also had no velcro in the band and that the band was rubber instead of cloth for quick drying. It even has oversized buttons, perfect for working with gloves on.

My point? I've got a new toy cool enough to recommend, and it's less than 19 bucks. I'll go out and beat it up for the next hundred dives or so and see what happens. If it survives (and it looks like it will) then I'll be thrilled. If it doesn't, then I'll spend the $50 and get the Casio G-shock, built even heavier-duty and good to 200 meters (600 feet!) but with a wimpier internal light, much smaller and harder to read numbers, and buttons that are much more difficult to operate with gloves on. Oh yeah... And the thing's plain ol' ugly, too. The one I bought is something that I'd leave on after the dive and go out with.

For less than $19. I feel like I ripped somebody off. :D

This thing's cooler than the bottom timer that I've been using that my buddy lent me... That was more than $100.

I'd actually rather use a computer, but heck, for $18.98, I couldn't resist.

They even had a ladies' version so my significant other can tell me that I'm calculating my pressure group wrong. :lol:

SeaJay once bubbled...
How do I tell everyone how cool this thing is?
Probably not exactly the same watch but I got one free at Lowe's for opening an account.... took it to 135fsw... and worked!!!

Then it I pushed a button and it crapped out...

I may have to spend a little more next time. :D

Well, I'll give y'all a full report. Sure looks plenty sturdy enough. Glass crystal... Stainless steel back that's got screws holding it in instead of just "popped" in... Nice weighty feel to it... But who knows? I couldn't make any promises on whether or not it's going to last... Until I've beat on it for a while.

And believe me, I will. :D

I'll let you know what happens. Looks good and feels good and heavy, though... So I've got some confidence.

We'll see... :D

I think I can top that purchase! I bought a gen-yu-wine Casio G-Shock at K-mart for 17 bucks. I think it was a 2 year old model, and ugly as sin.
Neil

The best thing about these KMart/WalMart cheapies is that if they leak the store will replace them.

My daughter's on her third one, and I just replaced my first one.

Best $13 value I've ever bought. :)

Marc :jester:

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Probably not exactly the same watch but I got one free at Lowe's for opening an account.... took it to 135fsw... and worked!!!

Then it I pushed a button and it crapped out...

I may have to spend a little more next time. :D

Not unusual. Most "waterproof" watches tell you not to push any of the buttons when you are underwater because you compromise the seal when you do. Even some of the more expensive "dive" watches tell you not to do that.

I've never found any of those cheapie watches to hold up for underwater use, regardless of the manufacturers claim. If you guys know of one thats been tested, let me know.

SeaJay, let us know how your watch holds up. No need to wait for 100 dives, just a few will do. I'll be as excited as you if it works.

I have a Timex Atlantis 100 (I think... the name has rubbed off the bezel :wink: ) that I only ever remove to put on a drysuit or replace the band whenever it wears out. It's supposed to be rated to 100 meters.

I liked my old one better as it had a real crystal face with a metal body and the current model has a plastic face and body. It scratches easier than the old one, but I've been quite surprised at how long and well it's held up.

The numbers are reasonably sized and it has 'indiglow' so even in low light it's prety easy to read without pressing the light button. I was able to read it easily at 70 feet once by moonlight in the Caymans.

The only reason I'm no longer using the old one is the last battery change seems to have killed off the alarm functions.

I've had the current watch (plastic face) down to 200 feet and it's never had any problems. I don't push buttons on it under water though. I set it at the surface and then just look at it when I need to...
I think I got the current one for about $40.

I got the Timex Helix D_M off of Ebay for only $75. It has some great features. It starts automatically when you descend below 3 feet. Tracks maximum dive depth, temp and time. The indiglow feature is great and the numbers are really large so you can read it easier. It stores up to 30 dives.

The watch normally goes for $129.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom