Professional Liability Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Witherspoon worked for Gail Smith last year, but they decided not to stay in the dive insurance business and he is now working on his own. (He handled that part of their business last year.) I used that insurance (it was $419 as opposed to V&B's $674) and it was...grudgingly, as always..accepted by PADI. This year it's $486.88 for standard instructor insurance. I searched around quite a bit last year, but couldn't find anyone other than Gail Smith that would insure me as a PADI instructor without "crossing over" to SSI or whatever.

Can someone explainto me the APPROVED thing? PADI didn't want my insurance proof to give me a DM card.

If I get Jim Bobs dive insurance who cares as long as they cover me for pro liability? Does PADI have some right to tell me I can't work if they don't like my ins carrier?

Lets see, NAUI's instructor insurance is $499.00 (Oh lets just call it what it is. Five hundred bucks) this year up from $440.00. Nice huh?

The NAUI Rep can at least take me to lunch for THAT! Sheesh!
"And I'll have the lobster, thanks...."

-Dennis

In my part of the world, we do not have to get Insurance to renew our Instructor memberships...

You are aware that the reason you MUST have insurances is due to the Rediculous amount of lawsuits you guys have in the US.

Regarding the DM who asked whether he can get sued for just being on the boat... offcourse you can get sued... anyone can sue you for anything they want!!!

I remember when I took a law class... someone did a paper on how Sleeping Beauty could sue Prince Charming for kissing her while she was sleeping :confused:

Unfortunately lawsuits a no longer limited to the US
We have the same insurance problems in Canada now,
at first the insurance brokers blamed sep.11 a couple of years later the stock market. Now I'm hearing increased lawsuits.
Whats next? I wonder.

scubasean once bubbled...

I thought that what was said was that the lawyers are getting rich, not that the lawyers "have alot to do with the problem"....

It is the legislatures of the Federal gov't and the various states that provide the framework for the legal system. If you want to complain, do so only after you've exercised your right to vote for the folks that will change the laws to restrict paying huge sums of money for getting what you ordered, ....hot coffee at McDonalds.....

Just my .05

I do vote thank you. I also happen to work with lawyers and I know that some of them are very sleazy. All you have to do is look at some of the ads they run on TV. If you think they run those personal injury commercials because they have your best interest in mind, I have some ocean view property in Arizona you might be interested in.

If I get Jim Bobs dive insurance who cares as long as they cover me for pro liability? Does PADI have some right to tell me I can't work if they don't like my ins carrier?

In order to be an PADI Pro in active teaching status, you MUST have liability insurance. From GS&P in the Manual:

Teaching status PADI Instructors are required to have professional liability insurance in some areas, but it is recommended in all areas. PADI Assistant Instructors and divemasters are also required to have insurance to conduct PADI experience programs and PADI Skin Diver courses in most areas. However, it is also recommended that PADI Assistant Instructors and Divemasters carry insurance even if only acting as certified assistants or engaging in supervisory activities.A PADI Instructor ’s professional liability insurance does not cover certified assistants.

In the past, PADI rejected other carriers except for their own "sponsored" coverage through V&B. However, in the last few years the members (justifiably) protested, and now you can be insured through other insurance agencies. The caveat is that PADI Risk Management MUST approve the policy.

Unfortunately, we discovered that switching wasn't so easy. Since we are only PADI with no other certifying agency affiliation, there seems to be only one outside source for liability insurance: through John Witherspoon.

That being said, the rates ARE better. But PADI did have to ok the policy first.

~SubMariner~

All, I just found a cheaper alternative to PADI Liability Insurance. It's offered through FADO (Florida Association of Dive Operators) and is available in all states (except Alaska) U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S. Territories and Caribbean. The policy provides coverage world wide.

I spoke with Evan at Insurance Management Services and verified that all PADI Instructors/Divemaster can be covered under FADO and that PADI will recognize the coverage. The policy is written to national training standards and it will afford coverage for any nationally recognized training association. However, you must list any additional associations as Additional Insureds (So PADI, in addition to your dive shop should be added as an additional Insured).

To renew with PADI it will cost:

Instructor $674.00
Divemaster $395.00

To renew with FADO it will cost you:

Instructor $515.00 ($159.00 Savings)
Divemaster $338.00 ($57.00 Savings)

The web site is http://www.divesecure.com/default.asp You can fill out online (Use FADO as the SCUBA Organization if you do online) or download the form (click on FADO to get the PADI authorized downloadable form). If you like, you can contact FADO at 954-390-0802 or contact Insurance Management Services directly at 800-467-7282.=-)

I did do a crossover to TDI and got cheaper insurance, Marsch i believe. I still downgraded to just teaching assistant insurance. This liability insurance is a waste of money, i am considering to completely stop doing anything class related or give advice on anything to anybody. People should start taking responsibility for their own actions. If one buys and then assembles a mix of inadequate divegear to do a deep deco dive one is not trained for dont go sue the diveshop that sold the gear!!! Dont blame them for being an idiot! Be real :upset:

Witherspoon is still cheaper
Instr = 486.88
DM = 302.38

Anyway.....
Either way I go, V&B or Witherspoon, I'm reading the policies and they are both claim coverage only...meaning that if I get insurance and DM for one class, and don't ever do it again and don't ever get insurance again, THEN in 3 years some knucklehead gets hurt, he can come back and sue, naming me because I was the DM for the Instr. for his class....I won't be covered because the claim was made now when I don't have ins.

So if I DM once, I have to have Ins for the rest of my life basically...am I reading this correctly?

Does anyone have an 1st hand experience with this?

Say Joe takes OW and I'm the DM, then he takes AOW, can he still come back to me and the Instr for his OW? And is there some time limit where PADI or someone will help out....like Joe gets hurt 5 years after his OW and tries to come back on me/us. Is there a statute of limitations or something?

or am I just being paranoid?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom