Professional Liability Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, here is what I have found out lately. I can take on NAUI insurance for $499. This will also cover my SSI classes as well. I can buy into a group rate with my LDS (SSI) for $250.00 and get the same coverage but would also have to get a tailend policy because I am starting a new policy. I need to make sure I am covered for previous years, hence the tail end coverage. This is only $150 so is still cheaper than NAUI's new insurance and covers my NAUI and SSI activities, or so I have heard.

My question is this, if I buy into the group policy with my LDS will this cover me while teaching at a local university (NAUI)? I have heard yes and I have heard no. NAUI actually said it would not but my SSI shop said it would.

thanks

LVX

Brardin

I spoke with Evan at Insurance Management Services and verified that all PADI Instructors/Divemaster can be covered under FADO and that PADI will recognize the coverage.

Not to burst your bubble, but if you are a PADI member, what the insurance agency says is meaningless until PADI Risk Management tells you the policy is acceptable.

norcaldiver

Say Joe takes OW and I'm the DM, then he takes AOW, can he still come back to me and the Instr for his OW? And is there some time limit where PADI or someone will help out....like Joe gets hurt 5 years after his OW and tries to come back on me/us. Is there a statute of limitations or something?

Each state has it's own statute of limitations as to how long after a date of loss a claim can be filed. Please note that this means that a claim can conceivably be filed the day before the prescrption date is over and you can still be slugging it out XX years later as the bloody thing grinds through the tort legal system.

That being said, many agencies have their own Standards as to how long student records must be kept by Instructors. For example, PADI standards require "training completion records be maintained for each student diver participant for a minimum of seven years, or longer if stipulated by local legal requirements."

Ergo we boxes upon boxes upon boxes of these documents sitting in storage. Fun, eh?! :eek:ut:

~SubMariner~

I have an email from PADI's Legal and Risk Management Coordinator stating they will accept the coverage so my bubble is fine. (See below):)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 9:26 PM
To: BobRardin@myacc.net
Subject: PADI Address for listing as an Additional Insured

Dear Bob,

The address is correct as shown, except you need to include the city, which is Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688-2125.

Regards,

Katrina Bryson
Legal & Risk Management Coordinator

Phone: 949-858-7234 ext. 2368
Fax: 949-858-8467

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 11:39 AM
To: Susie Sells
Subject: Liability Insurance Coverage

My understanding is PADI will recognize professional liability insurance
(written by Insurance Management Service under FADO --Florida Association of
Dive Operators) as long as PADI is listed as an additional Insured. I listed
PADI as an additional insured using the following address:

30151 Tomas Street
California, 92688-2125

Please reply and confirm if this is or is not the correct address to use for
PADI concerning being named as the additional insured for professional
liability coverage.

Regards,

Bob Rardin

I have an email from PADI's Legal and Risk Management Coordinator stating they will accept the coverage so my bubble is fine.

Great news! :D

BTW, I didn't mean to imply that you were being naive; you hadn't mentioned in your previous post that you had any sort of contact with PADI Risk Management regarding whether or not the policy offered by your underwriter was acceptable. Now you've confirmed that it IS suitable.

If you are a dive professional who is ONLY aligned with PADI, your choices for liability coverage are severely limited. This really helps to show that we DO have alternatives.

Hopefully, in the end we will have a database of agents that will be useful for PADI Pros in the future.

I LOVE THIS BOARD! :thumb:

~SubMariner~

Is is at all funny to anyone else that the PADI risk mgt persons name is Suzzie Sells ?

Is is at all funny to anyone else that the PADI risk mgt persons name is Suzzie Sells ?

Actually, Susie is in Insurance, not Risk Management. :wink:

The people in PADI RM are Pat Fousek, Celeste Tanguay, and Donna Phillips.

~SubMariner~

LVX once bubbled...
OK, here is what I have found out lately. I can take on NAUI insurance for $499. This will also cover my SSI classes as well. I can buy into a group rate with my LDS (SSI) for $250.00 and get the same coverage but would also have to get a tailend policy because I am starting a new policy. I need to make sure I am covered for previous years, hence the tail end coverage. This is only $150 so is still cheaper than NAUI's new insurance and covers my NAUI and SSI activities, or so I have heard.

My question is this, if I buy into the group policy with my LDS will this cover me while teaching at a local university (NAUI)? I have heard yes and I have heard no. NAUI actually said it would not but my SSI shop said it would.

thanks

LVX

My understanding of the group policy thru an LDS means that the policy is the store's not your's. Meaning if you teach any classes not sanctioned by the LDS, you are NOT covered. If you are doing independent classes, you need to get your OWN individual liability insurance...

Good Luck...

that I spoke with a person at IMS about 4 or 5 weeks ago and was told that they do not provide coverage for PADI instructors. Now they do accept PADI instructors and are not providing coverage for NAUI instructors. :confused:

I wonder what next year will bring:wink:

I am glad that the PADI instructors have access to something more reasonable than V & B this year.

It was my understanding that IMS is still providing coverage to NAUI instructors but NAUI is now offering its own insurance and wants everyone to use it.

LVX

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom