Progress

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey flw,

It's prety much a given that KiC "knows" what he "knows" and noone in this world is gonna make him see there is more than one safe way to do just about anything.

If given a chance, I'm prety sure he'd try to give driving tips to Mario Andretti too... Cause after all, Califonians get to drive soooo fast on those gridlocked freeways all the time, right?

dc4bs once bubbled...
Hey flw,

It's prety much a given that KiC "knows" what he "knows" and noone in this world is gonna make him see there is more than one safe way to do just about anything.

If given a chance, I'm prety sure he'd try to give driving tips to Mario Andretti too... Cause after all, Califonians get to drive soooo fast on those gridlocked freeways all the time, right?

flw asked you if you got bent on decoplanner.

Sounds like you did. Type 2 case. Neural.

That makes the score 998 vs 2.

Guess decoplanner isnt perfect.

Ive never seen the US Navy tables but out of the Vyper manual it gives these NDLs for dives over 100ft for first dive in the series.

100ft - 17 mins
110ft - 13 mins
120ft - 10 mins
130ft - 9 mins
140ft - 7 mins
150ft - 6 mins

This is on A0/P0 mode - the least conservative.

From my BSAC '88 tables (generally thought to be dangerously aggressive) i get

30m (98ft) - 20 mins
33m (108ft) - 17 mins
36m (118) - 14 mins
39m (128ft) - 13 mins
42m (137ft) - 12 mins
45m (147ft) - 10 mins
48m (157ft) - 9 mins
51m (167ft) - 8 mins

As seen by that the tables give up to several minutes longer for every depth and still class it as a no deco dive.

On a simulated 3 dives to a depth of 35m with a 2hr surface interval between dives.

Profile is 35m reached after 3 mins and left at 10 mins.

10m/min ascent rates with a 5m safety stop for 4 mins.

On dive 1, the SDM gives 2 min NDL remaining on leaving the bottom.
On dives 2 and 3 it gives 1 min remaining.

Same dives on BSAC '88 tables:

Dive 1: 5 mins NDL left
Dive 2: 3 mins deco
Dive 3: 3 mins deco

Again, tables are assuming a square profile dive and a 15m/min ascent rate - not the 10m the computer is using. Factoring this in, the deco obligations are much the same.

On another dive, 42m dive allowing for 9 mins on the bottom. This on the tables is a no deco dive.

The Suunto clicked into deco 3 mins before leaving the bottom.

Dive 2 - just about a no deco dive assuming normal ascent rates.

The suunto clicked into deco 3.5 mins before leaving the bottom.

However, both dives cleared deco on the way up allowing for 10m/min ascent rate.

No 5m safety stop was performed here.

Going by those simulations the Suunto is hardly kamikaze for dives below 100ft and is certainly more conservative than the tables ive got even allowing for 3 dives a day.

As well as that the thousands of divers using these things every day for repeat dives that dont get bent speak volumes.

2/3 of all bends last year here were from divers diving well within accepted navy NDLs. ie, undeserved hits.

String once bubbled...

2/3 of all bends last year here were from divers diving well within accepted navy NDLs. ie, undeserved hits.

Supposedly:(

dc4bs once bubbled...
Hey flw,

Yeah, I kind of figured that after browsing through a couple of other threads that he was a peerie bit inclined that way. it's a bit like debating anything with my 13 year old on a bad day:)
I'm not sure where the decoplanner comments come from, I commented on getting bent whilst using it, it was also a deserved hit, don't remember asking anyone else about it

Wow this thread has taken a turn

Saying - Congrats on the accomplishment. I too was excited when I finaly got to the point where my NDL was more of a factor than gas consumption.

Last weekend I mad a few dives. My highest SAC rate was .67 lowest was .43 I was kinda worried about my sac rate and was a bit high but after the dives I found the reason.

It was a night dive with low vis and I thought my dive buddy was staying way too close but turns out he was actualy hanging onto my tank the whole time. He explained this as being concerend about buddy seperation with the conditions of the dive. Considering I was basicly towing him I don't feel so bad now.

String once bubbled...

The thing is, it's not underseved hit if you exceed your ascent rate - that's the biggest problem I see with new divers - they go up too fast, espically for the last 10 or 15'. You may still be within the NDLs but if you have even a partial runaway that's not problem. Diving deydrated, overexcertion underwater, drug/alcohol usage, etc also account for alot of supposidly "undersevered" hits.

Go up slow, and do stops on any dive below 60' - that's what NAUI now says and I agree.

BTW, once you have decent air consuption just about anyone can hit NDLs at 100' before air cosumption becomes a factor even with an al80 espically if you are diving air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom