Proper Dry Suit Fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beth_M

Reaction score
Hello all -

I recently purchased a new DUI CLX450 Signature suit and had some questions about proper fit (my first dry suit). The suit is not baggy at all (a good thing I presume) and fits fairly snugly with my 300g Polartec UGs. It's not a chore to get on, but it does take a little pull to get on over my legs. There's very little looseness on the entire suit (especially lower torso). I can do all the movements pictured in the manual (down on knees, bend arms across chest, to the back, etc.).

1) Should the suit be a little loose in order for the air to provide some loft? Or is a snug fitting suit fine?

I know too baggy is definately not good. But, if it's too snug then there wouldn't be a barrier of air between the shell of the suit and the insulation.

2) There is no room in the toe of the Turbo Soles. Does it stretch out over time?

My dealer stated that his suit was the same, and that over time the foot stretched out.

3) Does DUI allow you to dive the suit to see if everything is OK or does the suit never have to get wet in order to perform alterations within the 30 day period?

and finally, slightly unrelated

4) I wanted to have a Si-Tech low profile installed, but they installed an Apeks high profile.

Is it worth sending the suit back just to get the Si-Tech installed? Or is the Apeks high profile just as good a performer?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and provide me with your comments.

Though not an "expert", I can share some of what I have learned.

1) On size: My suit purchased used was large on me when I got it and I have since lost 50lbs. Other than an extended learning curve, additional weight, and comfort (as if those aren't enough!) The suit dives fine. And it is HUGE on me. I tried a well fitted DUI and couldn't believe how much easier it was to use, and less weight. Next time...
2) On valves: I hated the SI-Tech valve on my suit when I got it because it seemed to dump very slowly. It was not the valve, but my lack of experience. I think the Apex valves do dump air faster, but both companies make quality equipment, stand behind their product, and it would take LOTS of dives in order to make an informed choice on the nuances of valve functions.
Good Diving
Dennis

Beth_M:
Hello all -

1) Should the suit be a little loose in order for the air to provide some loft? Or is a snug fitting suit fine?

I know too baggy is definately not good. But, if it's too snug then there wouldn't be a barrier of air between the shell of the suit and the insulation.

2) There is no room in the toe of the Turbo Soles. Does it stretch out over time?

My dealer stated that his suit was the same, and that over time the foot stretched out.

3) Does DUI allow you to dive the suit to see if everything is OK or does the suit never have to get wet in order to perform alterations within the 30 day period?

and finally, slightly unrelated

4) I wanted to have a Si-Tech low profile installed, but they installed an Apeks high profile.

Is it worth sending the suit back just to get the Si-Tech installed? Or is the Apeks high profile just as good a performer?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and provide me with your comments.

It sounds like you're one of the lucky ones who can wear a stock suit. Be Glad!

Snug, as long as you have full range of motion, is good. The loft will take care of itself. I wear a suit quite tight, with very little air in it. If you get a little cold, just hit the valve a time or two.

The foot pocket should fit like a sock, not a shoe. As long as you can get one or two pairs of socks, or an insulated bootie on your foot and then get into the suit foot pocket, you should be fine. My custom suit has no room in the foot pocket with double socks on. I disagree that the foot pocket will stretch. If you can only get your bare foot in it, its too tight.

As this is your first DS, I wouldn't worry about the exhaust valve. Although I prefer the Si-Tech, the Apeks should work fine for you. And, push comes to shove, it can be replaced by the dealer. I would not send the suit back, all other things being equal, to have the valve replaced.

Remember, you will have to give yourself some time to learn the suit. It takes more than one of two dives.

MD

BuoyantC (great handle) and MechDiver, thank you for your responses. For a small while I was worried that I wasn't going to receive any responses (I should have known better from the caliber of ScubaBoard members =).

MD, I acutally shelled out the money for a Signature suit, and got all the extra goodies with it. The stock suit, unfortunately, didn't fit as well.

In any case, wth the foot wearing hiking socks along with 300g Polartec booties, the foot fits -quite- snugly into the TurboSoles. My toes very much feel squeezed while in the foot pocket. I've added shoe trees in the TurboSoles hoping that it will help stretch a bit.

OTOH, Faith at DUI mentioned that I could dive the suit a few times to make everything works out OK. So in the worst case, I could simply send it back. I was considering the Si-Tech based on comments from many other divers that it was a superior valve, plus the Apeks high-profile gets hung up on my harness more. I won't know how the Apeks compares to the Si-Tech, but I might as well get the best one on there the first time.

After diving dry, I won't ever go back wet. I'm still trying to get the hang of the buoyancy control down so I stop acting like a yo-yo.

Hi Beth,

I, too, dive in a CLx450, and I understand your concerns about fit. For me, it was an adjustment to switch from a 7mm one-piece wetsuit to the DUI CLx450, and I'm glad I did.

I encourage you to contact DUI directly and ask them. Susan Long from DUI is excellent about answering Q's from DOG's (owners) and those that are shopping for a drysuit. (http://www.dui-online.com/)

I'm sold on my DUI, and I can't imagine going back to a wetsuit -- especially here in Monterey, California, USA.

DUI is excellent on customer service! If you find that the turbo soles are indeed too small, DUI should resize them for you. I have two DUI suits - a TLS350 and a Flex 50/50, both signature models and when I needed an alteration they did it free of charge and I had the suits back within 2-3 weeks of sending them to DUI. My wife has had similar good experience with making alterations. She ordered a signature series TLS350 with the new zip seals on the wrist and neck. The neck zip seal was a real "pain in the neck" for her, but DUI switched it out promptly for a regular latex seal.

I think, if you dive the suit a few times, get comfortable with your buoyancy and weighting, you'll thoroughly love the drysuit. Just let DUI know how the feet feel and I'm sure they will work with you for your satisfaction.

Sounds like you scored! The fit you describe is awesome! If you can reach your valves, squat down and do a figure 4 with just enough room to spare....you scored. DUI's customer service is first rate! Susan Long is THE nicest person and very helpful! It doesn't sound like you need it though. Dive the Apeks valve a couple times before you make any decision about it, many people swear by the high profile Apeks dump valve.

Sounds like you got a great set up with the 300 wt Polartec!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom