Proper fit of neoprene drysuits, tighter than trilams?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An advantage of neoprene is that as it compresses with increasing depth it shrinks a bit a well as loosing thickness whereas laminate suits tend to wrinkle. Braces fitted to the suit help stop boots floating off feet if inverted and lead pouch ankle weights help stop getting inverted and boots slipping off. It has been a long cold start to the year in this part of UK, with fresh snow on hills in May and frost on house roof just over a week ago so water temps are pretty low. But last week I had my first wetsuit dive of the year. Probably back into drysuit for tomorrows dive as it was only 5 celcius at over 16 m a few weeks ago.

An advantage of neoprene is that as it compresses with increasing depth it shrinks a bit a well as loosing thickness whereas laminate suits tend to wrinkle. Braces fitted to the suit help stop boots floating off feet if inverted and lead pouch ankle weights help stop getting inverted and boots slipping off. It has been a long cold start to the year in this part of UK, with fresh snow on hills in May and frost on house roof just over a week ago so water temps are pretty low. But last week I had my first wetsuit dive of the year. Probably back into drysuit for tomorrows dive as it was only 5 celcius at over 16 m a few weeks ago.
Ankle weights are a bad idea IMO, try some gaiters or stirrups on the boots.

Ankle weights are a bad idea IMO, try some gaiters or stirrups on the boots.
Or better still, get a suit with socks rather than boots and then wear boots over this.

A couple of benefits of socks over boots: 1) it is much easier to turn the suit completely inside out to dry; 2) when the boots wear you just buy new boots rather than getting the suit repaired.

Or better still, get a suit with socks rather than boots and then wear boots over this.

A couple of benefits of socks over boots: 1) it is much easier to turn the suit completely inside out to dry; 2) when the boots wear you just buy new boots rather than getting the suit repaired.
Agreed, my first suit had socks; wasn't an option on my second suit so I use stirrups and they are almost as good as shoes (not as good but close).

thanks guys for all the advice . wondering if any of u reinforce the neoprene seals with rubber bands just to ensure no change leaks? …

wondering if any of u reinforce the neoprene seals with rubber bands just to ensure no change leaks? …
I don't. I doubt it would help that much as they would need to be loose enough to get over your hands (much like the wrist seals themselves).

Unless you have very thin wrists (like I do) you should get a pretty good seal but there will always be small leaks from the tendons in your wrist. My current suit is custom made and so has nice tight wrist seals but I do get a small amount of water in but nothing that causes any issues.

Back
Top Bottom