Proper way to shoot seahorses in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:troll::troll::troll:

Are you on DRUGS or what!!!!! I think we would all like to say at this point we can find you some help. We are all your friends here and we would like to help you. All you have to do is just admit to yourself you have a problem and ask for some help. I think this thing you have with these seahorses needs to be addressed and maybe the money that you are spending on a date with these little creatures may be a bit much don't you think. And now knee pads!!! How long do you plan on staying on your knees for this date. I hope this is all a joke my friend, but if not:shakehead: please just admit you have a problem. :)
Than we will call on Net"Doc" to help you my friend:wink:

Whoah whoah whoah...speargirl, you are WAAAAAYYYYY out of line in that post.

First off, if I decided spending $19,300 on a camera setup with some knee pads is in my best interest than that is my money. A joke? Surely you jest! I will stay on my knees as long as possible until the job is finished. If it takes 10 minutes, 1 hour, or 2 hours...I dont care. Now, I may need to come up for air every now and then, but then I'll just bury my face right back into the setup in order to properly obtain the desired outcome.

It's all about getting the most bang for your buck...or in this case my $21,300!!

Everyone knows the best place to find seahorses to photograph in Cozumel is to do a shore dive and hang out in the navigational channel. Leave your dive flag/sausage at home because that will scare them off. Whatever you do, don't bring a local divemaster. They make too much noise and will for sure drive them away.

[Sorry, all, I couldn't resist!]

Well, believe it or not, there are quite a few of them in that nav channel (so they say) if you manage to stay near the bottom and no divers or snorkelers are trown above you! yes, that will scare them away... :eyebrow:

Else you can try a couple of shore dives right under a couple hotel piers, around noon is the bes time... i might even volunteer to point you out to a couple of them...

As far as the kneepads... did you think about elbow pads? you have to rest your body somewhere to do not damage you 23,300 set up, ups! now add another 200 for the elbow pads!

and don't forget to bring the carrots.... mmmm.... maybe the waterproof sugarcubes would be better....

Whoah whoah whoah...

It's all about getting the most bang for your buck...or in this case my $21,300!!

its too bad you couldn't get first rate gear--and you bought about 6 months early.

You realize. of course, the gear is only the down payment.

You need a couple of local guides-Tek & Ted will do, for a $1000 a week each. Nice thing is that you'll be diving Paradise all week so they are probably the best.

Dive Model--$4000 a week in expenses and her hourly rate. Watch out for the diamond stores. That alone could double the entire cost.

Private boat-cheap at $500 a day.

Rental on surface supplied air equipment (hard hat) and compressor and mechanic -- maybe $20,000 a week.

Start at the anchor maybe 100 meters NNW from the caleta entrance and do a 50 meter circle. Ted and Tek should be able to find a couple sea horses there. Then proceed NNW for up to 300 meters, stopping 50 meters or so short of coral portion of Paradise and keep looking until you have found 10 sea horses.

You could also ask Christi nicely for a couple of private dives-I have no idea the cost-rumor has it half the sea horses on Paradise are Blue XT Sea contractors.

Tim

You could also ask Christi nicely for a couple of private dives-I have no idea the cost-rumor has it half the sea horses on Paradise are Blue XT Sea contractors.

LOL! Good one!

The thing to do is to time your visit with the annual renewal of the Seahorse/Blue XT~Sea contracts. They ALL come out of the grasses to sign and catch up with Pedro, see how his family is doing, wish him happy new year... oops, I guess you just missed it. Oh well, maybe next year. By which time your gear will have depreciated to half its original (?) cost and be horribly outdated. Sad.

Haha!

OK Jepuskar, I'll make you a deal. This is a one time offer only, and you must call within the next 30 minutes.

I'll release four of my contracted seahorses from their contracts for one day only. You just need to pay me a commission of half the cost of that $20K camera rig you have...and you can have them at your disposal all day.

AND...if you call in the next 15 minutes, I can throw in some pipefish too.

But WAIT....that's not all....

For a one time exclusive offer, I will provide you with Baby frogfish if you call in the next FIVE minutes.

Don't delay, this offer is good for a limited time and won't pass by again! Operators are standing by to take your call!

Please have Platinum card ready!

Be sure and keep that 9mm away from Cheesehead as he is still depressed after the Packers/Giants championship game!

Gaffer

I'm just curious, why did you pick Cozumel given your need for such good Seahorse pictures? Of all the seahorses there that I've seen and the couple I've found myself - they have all been in the open in grassy patches with formidable currents. The most recent time there I was shooting macro video of a seahorse and after 2-3min of fighting the current for a steady shot my dive buddy gave me that evil look as the rest of our group was so far downcurrent we could only see their bubbles. I don't like being that guy.

You've got the fancy camera setup. Next time, try a trip to Bonaire. You can dedicate entire dives to just one seahorse or frogfish and never fight a current or loose a dive buddy.

Also, I'm curious what rig you purchased (camera, enclosure, stobes) that set you back the amount you [most recently] stated?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom