PSI and BAR Buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Already some good experiences and input out there. I'll chime in as well.

I spent a month research project where we had an even split between divers using metric and divers using imperial.
We spent a 10min evening going over air protocols such as
- what minimum psi/bar we would be on the surface
- what a full tank measured at pressure wise
- what a half tank measured at
- using rule of thirds

It was pretty easy. The bar users were 200 full tank, 100 half tank, 50 be on the boat. (even though 50bar equals 750 psi roughly)
Also keep in mind that even bar pressure gauges use the same reference as our 5000psi gauge. The red zone will be at 0-100bar just like our red zone will be at 0-1000psi.
Our half mark 1500psi is around their half mark of 100bar.
So really the only change on the pressure gauge is the reference numbers.

If you must insist on using hand signals instead of just showing your gauge or trusting that an OK meant they were in fact still on the air plan, then keep it simple.

- Show in 5's and round up to the nearest 1000psi or 100bar. So showing (2x) 5's is 100bar or 1000psi.
Or in psi (3x) 5's is 1500psi. If you have 1400psi, then it's (2x) 5's plus 4 fingers at the end.

- Another method is to simply show how many on 2 hands (but for me this takes a second of processing to coordinate between two hands. (yes....I know, I call narcosis on that one =P).

- Yet another method is to signal for each digit. Palm facing the viewer is 1-5, but palm facing the signaller w/ the hand turned sideways is numbers 6-9. So if you see me signalling and my palm isn't facing you: 2 fingers equals 7, 3 fingers equals 8 and so on.
If your buddies are english better show 7 as the thumb and index finger, unless you want to give them the english version of a flip-off.

To solve the safety stop protocols (we did 3 safety stops because of our daily profiles) All of us agreed to switch to metric. While you don't have a quantitative reference of your actual depth, if you have a dive profile to follow, it isn't all that daunting. Just memorize what 10's of feet are in meters.
So 30ft = 9m
40ft = 12m
and so on.

This is why I like air integrated computers. I simply change the reading to BAR and trust the idiot box to let me know how much bottom time I have left based on air remaining.

If I knew I was going to be diving with a partner who preferred BAR, I'd just swap out my SPG to one reading BAR for the trip.

I am normally NOT a proponent of dual-scale analog instruments but I do find it useful in an SPG. I use it to make mental volume calculations easier since one Bar is very close to one atmosphere. It could help resolve the OP’s concerns. I use the OMS, but there may be others.

Attachments

• OMSPGO.jpg
    OMSPGO.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
I am normally NOT a proponent of dual-scale analog instruments but I do find it useful in an SPG. I use it to make mental volume calculations easier since one Bar is very close to one atmosphere. It could help resolve the OP’s concerns. I use the OMS, but there may be others.

I've only seen the dual scale SPG from OMS.

LuckyPeakReservoirBoise010.jpg

Quick google search turned up Oxycheq having one

I think Poseidon has a dual gauge. The differing systems IS a bit of an issue, especially as you travel far from USA. Communicate.

Went to Thailand, did first dive w/ comp changed to bar/meters, did good, but tried to do safety stop at 15 meters, my buddy (son) acted like I was crazy...showed me his gauge. I figured it out; seemed like things (the surface) appeared much farther away in metric!
Bob in CO

I do on vacation all the time. Live in the US and dive outsisde the country. I have a very simple view of my buddy's air, does not involve vonversion. If you're abouve half a tank your good, OK. you (usually me first) hit turn, give me a half tank sign and we turn. When you hit your reserve give the low air and we go to safety stop. Simple, no crazy number signals, covers the points your buddy needs to know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom