Psst-over here-I'm talking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Not to turn this into another ill fated "Solo Diver" discussion"
This is a bad analogy
Diving without one buddy is, like not looking before crossing a street. Eventually you will get hit...
It's a bad analogy because in this example you are not doing everything prudent for the thing that your doing (not looking both ways)
In solo diving you do everything you can to be a safe diver and then some because you do not have a buddy
A more proper analogy would be "Diving without one buddy is not having another pair of eyes / hands, watching / helping ... like looking before crossing a street and not seeing a car coming , but your buddy does and pulls you back just in time" You can cross the street by yourself , with proper care , but it can be safer with your buddy

Dave Tolan has some very good , very rational thoughts on the subject ... I sugest a re-read of them

DB

gcbryan:
I went on a dive today When I was at my max depth I made sure I had enough air to be there. I made sure I didn't stay there too long and I made sure when it was time to ascend that I did it slowly.

Dive Planning 101:

- Get in the water
- Swim around
- Abort the dive when your gauges tell you to

It's what most agencies teach (sorta). Works especially well for people who enjoy pushing the limits ... like 200-foot dives on air ... solo ... relying on the dive computer for deco schedule.

Enjoy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

gcbryan:
I went on a dive today When I was at my max depth I made sure I had enough air to be there. I made sure I didn't stay there too long and I made sure when it was time to ascend that I did it slowly.

I looked at my compass occassionally to make sure I was going in the direction that I intended.

This is how I dive. It works regardless of dive equipment type or agency affiliation.

This is at lot of info for some of you to absorb so please ask questions. I'm a pretty complex guy and I can dive this way but with some practice and with much guidance from me you can to.

Am I missing something? I don't get this post. Kind of like saying "Whenever I would like to know the time, I look at my watch. Now discuss."

cbsaw:
I see absolutly no advantages to diving alone.

I can't see why this needs to turn into yet another discussion of solo diving. You either do it or don't. No one's making anybody dive solo. It's a personal choice. I personally like to do it in some circumstances for lots of reasons that have been discussed to death on other threads.

But by going there, we miss the gcbryan's point.

He was saying, in a pretty humorous way, that diving involves some very basic activities, and when you pay attention to the basics and dive conservatively, you usually have a pretty good dive.

Good thread.

(BTW - the GC doens't stand for gonococcus does it? :11: Just making sure, since we're letting the thread wander...) :crafty:

GrierHPharmD:
He was saying, in a pretty humorous way, that diving involves some very basic activities, and when you pay attention to the basics and dive conservatively, you usually have a pretty good dive.

Good thread.

I think that he's pokin' someone in the ribs. :mfight:

GrierHPharmD:
I can't see why this needs to turn into yet another discussion of solo diving. You either do it or don't. No one's making anybody dive solo. It's a personal choice. I personally like to do it in some circumstances for lots of reasons that have been discussed to death on other threads.

But by going there, we miss the gcbryan's point.

Good thread.

(BTW - the GC doens't stand for gonococcus does it? :11: Just making sure, since we're letting the thread wander...) :crafty:

It's funny that it took 16 posts for someone to get it:) By the way I've never been to 200 fsw on air solo or relied on a dive computer for a deco schedule although it wouldn't be the first time that inaccurate conclusions were jumped to:) Also I only very rarely dive solo. It's interesting how this post turned in that direction as well.

When you have an unexpected medical problem or an entanglement or entrapment that you just can't get out of before your air runs out, who gives you a hand?

Or maybe you're immortal and repel monofilament?

I'd introduce you to another solo diver who was up here last year, unfortunately, I can't because he's dead.

He died in 40 feet of water 30 feet from the shore, behind a busy hospital, after getting trapped under a wreck.

Terry

gcbryan:

I looked at my compass occassionally to make sure I was going in the direction that I intended.

This is how I dive. It works regardless of dive equipment type or agency affiliation.

This is at lot of info for some of you to absorb so please ask questions. I'm a pretty complex guy and I can dive this way but with some practice and with much guidance from me you can to.

Web Monkey:
When you have an unexpected medical problem or an entanglement or entrapment that you just can't get out of before your air runs out, who gives you a hand?

Or maybe you're immortal and repel monofilament?

I'd introduce you to another solo diver who was up here last year, unfortunately, I can't because he's dead.

He died in 40 feet of water 30 feet from the shore, behind a busy hospital, after getting trapped under a wreck.

Terry

Who said anything about solo diving? Feel free to read "we" instead of "I" into my post. I was only using I because certain other posters like to use that pronoun a lot. In over 500 dives I probably have 20 solo dives if that.

Back
Top Bottom