Psst-over here-I'm talking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
I dunno..

I make sure I have enough gas for my max depth *before* I go there, not after! :wink:
That's what I was thinking. Sounds kind of sdrawkcab to me.

Like, make a dive, then look at your computer to see if you're still alive.

I Think I Finally Get The Problem Some People Have With Solo Diving Though. It Is Not The Diving, It Is The Fact That If They Are Diving Alone They Probably Had To Drive To The Dive Site In The Car Alone Thus Raising Their Chance Of Being Car Jacked. Every One Knows A Car Jacker Will Not Try To Jack A Car With 2 People In It. So To Keep From Being Car Jacked , Always Dive With A Buddy.

gcbryan:
I went on a dive today When I was at my max depth I made sure I had enough air to be there. I made sure I didn't stay there too long and I made sure when it was time to ascend that I did it slowly.

I looked at my compass occassionally to make sure I was going in the direction that I intended.

This is how I dive. It works regardless of dive equipment type or agency affiliation.

This is at lot of info for some of you to absorb so please ask questions. I'm a pretty complex guy and I can dive this way but with some practice and with much guidance from me you can to.

I used to dive with a compass but I gave it up cause I was getting lost all the time. Kept forgetting to wind the bazel. Since I dive only on the surface and only after heavy rain because the ocean is flat. I don't understand why it's always flat but it must have something to do with the rain filling up the holes between the waves.

jonnythan:
I dunno..

I make sure I have enough gas for my max depth *before* I go there, not after! :wink:

So do I Jonnythan but I do have certain minimum amounts of gas for each depth level and when I'm getting close I move shallower.

Rick Inman:
That's what I was thinking. Sounds kind of sdrawkcab to me.

Like, make a dive, then look at your computer to see if you're still alive.

Rick, I'm guessing that you weren't thinking since that's not what I said:) When you're at any depth don't you check your spg to make sure that you are within the gas limits that you have set for yourself at each depth?

This is at lot of info for some of you to absorb so please ask questions.

Yes folks lets ride those computers. Let's dive without thinking about how deep we're going until we get there. Let's take enough air to .... uhm .... well let's just take some air..... Let's put all of our energy into not going over the NDL because you just never know when the dive will suddenly need to end.... Let's just get in the water and well....we're only sure that we'll get wet. After that all bets are off.

You can only "get away" with this kind of diving if you can navigate fairly well and you stay within the NDL's. To some divers this is already kicking the ball far enough but to others this feels like the glass walls of a gold-fish bowl.....and not everyone is happy to be a gold fish.

Any questions?

R..

GrierHPharmD:
(BTW - the GC doens't stand for gonococcus does it?

No. Clearly it's "giant cullions" which is what you need if your computer isn't RGBM enabled. LOL

R..

Diver0001:
Yes folks lets ride those computers. Let's dive without thinking about how deep we're going until we get there. Let's take enough air to .... uhm .... well let's just take some air..... Let's put all of our energy into not going over the NDL because you just never know when the dive will suddenly need to end.... Let's just get in the water and well....we're only sure that we'll get wet. After that all bets are off.

You can only "get away" with this kind of diving if you can navigate fairly well and you stay within the NDL's. To some divers this is already kicking the ball far enough but to others this feels like the glass walls of a gold-fish bowl.....and not everyone is happy to be a gold fish.

Any questions?

R..
I have some questions. What are you talking about? I didn't even mention a computer. I didn't mention not going over the NDL's. I didn't mention anything about a lack of gas management. It seems to me you have stock answers that you are giving regardless of the posts responded to.

gcbryan:
I didn't even mention a computer.

You didn't have to.

There was nothing in your post to make me think that you're an unsafe diver. I'm just putting a fence around your cynicism.

And, of course, I'm yank'n yer chain.

R..

Diver0001:
You didn't have to.

There was nothing in your post to make me think that you're an unsafe diver. I'm just putting a fence around your cynicism.

And, of course, I'm yank'n yer chain.

R..

Yank acknowleged:) However I'm not being cynical. Most experienced divers are safe divers and learn most common lessons and dive remarkably similar to each other politics aside. Diving is simple it's just not simple minded. Most lessons are learned through experience.

After you have been driving a car for awhile you pretty much know how fast you are going even without looking at the speedometer. It's the same with diving. No one needs a post about hey look at me I know how fast I'm going and I'm not even looking at the speedometer. Driving is simple but it can be dangerous too. It's not divided into two groups safe drivers who drive a certain way and dangerous drivers who don't drive that way. Most experienced drivers are safe regardless of how they do it. Diving is the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom