PST Tanks...Still Worth Buying???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me rephrase..they measure the "Prestretch" prior to calibration...make more sense?

Bubs

PST never got TC approval on (any of?) their tanks. So technically Canadian fills are verboten, although shops will often fill them anyway if their hydro is current.

All hot dipped galvanized tanks require the round out procedure nowadays (Worthington, PST, Norris for a few yrs etc). The galvanizing tends to warp the shape of the tank into a slight banana and when pressurized they "straighten". Absent the round out procedure this alteration in shape is perceived as a change in tank deformation and they will likely fail hydro as a consequence. So query the hydro place beforehand about it (without giving away too much info) to see if they know what they are talking about. And if still in doubt find another hydro shop or tape the protocol to the tanks when you drop them off.

Some of the older 3AA tanks like the 2400+ PSTs (lp104s) are so massively overbuilt that they didn't warp when being hot dipped and they don't always require the round out protocol. But all the 3AA Worthington's do. The Worthington lp104s are basically identical to the PSTs fyi, and currently produced. The Faber's 108s are better for sidemounting but the PST/Worthington's more recommended as doubles FWIW.

??
My PST LP 80's have transport Canada stamps.

They even say 184 bar...so no need for a "+" rating, at least here in Canada.

They went for hydro a few months ago...no problems.

I know many have had no problems with PST tanks. However, I've lost two of them although potentially unrelated to the tank manufacturing or hydro testing procedures. One failed hydro due to over-expansion and my guess was due to repeated hot fills from a land-based operation. The other failed VIP due to excessive rust that couldn't be tumbled. I dive neutral buoyancy aluminum tanks now.

This would be a mute point if somebody knew if s/p 9791 was picked up. Renewal of special permits should be applied for 6 months b4 they expire. That info should be on the dot web site, but I can't find it, I'm not looking in the right place or it hasn't been applied for. Maybe somebody here knows???

??
My PST LP 80's have transport Canada stamps.

They even say 184 bar...so no need for a "+" rating, at least here in Canada.

They went for hydro a few months ago...no problems.

The OP is/was considering the high pressure 130s: 7/8" necks, special permit 9791 tanks, 3500psi - none of those are TC approved.

Not the 3AA lps which you have.

they never made skinny neck 130's. Those are 3442 psi, the biggest skinny necks were the HP120's.

The permit will be picked up, I wouldn't worry about it. This comes up every few years, and it keeps getting renewed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom