Puerto Galera is an excellent destination for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How would you feel if it was a 60-70 yrs old lady with a youthful looking male?

---------- Post added January 15th, 2015 at 08:50 AM ----------

White Beach is NO better either and may be even worst!
- True, my mistake..was there in the daylight.

Just curious......why would it make a difference if it was an old lady?.....from what I hear many a more mature femme is giving a Kuta Cowboy a hand up in life.

wow, such passion! i'm afraid there is an impression being created that sabang in particular and the puerto galera area in general is considerably more seedy than it actually is. i find the daytime and dinnertime sabang perfectly fine. it does heat up a little late night. if it is that offensive avoid it. easy to do by staying away from sabang central after 10 or 11, or stay in little or big la laguna. to the extent that you might wander upon some men and women drinking and otherwise acting 'badly', good morning world. maybe it is better to stay in a walled resort or your own back yard. but don't venture into the third world. if you didn't like the diving in p.g., that is another story. imho the diving in the area is plentiful and varied, easy to challenging, with plenty of extraordinary thrown in as well. verde island alone is worth the trip. my 2 cents. hate to see a place enjoyed by so many avoided because of the few.

---------- Post added January 13th, 2015 at 10:06 PM ----------

oh yea. you might want to stay out of the bars.
We seem to have touched a nerve here, unsurprisingly. This is what I was trying to get at with my comments about "western sensibilities". I share many of the sentiments that have been trumpeted here, and yes, I am a product of the good old USA where such things are not as commonly encountered in most places, I suppose. But HELLO, this is the third world; and yes, TOTO, you're not in Kansas anymore. No one is saying that you have to like what you see, and no one is asking you to participate, God forbid. But this is reality over there, and these people are trying to make a living. Maybe you would not have chosen this particular way, but maybe this is the best (only?) way for them to get by. I am certainly not going to judge them (or anyone else, for that matter. There seems to be plenty of others ready to step up to that job, from what I see here) and I only seek to understand their world a little better. I am not asking anyone to change their values, but please recognize that the world is a complicated place, and your values and sensibilities are exactly that- yours. Please try not to condescend toward others who have an entirely different situation than yours. This is an essential part of cultural broadening, and is a big reason why a lot of us travel. Okay, I am down off my soapbox now. Woody

- True, my mistake..was there in the daylight.

Just curious......why would it make a difference if it was an old lady?.....from what I hear many a more mature femme is giving a Kuta Cowboy a hand up in life.
Not many divers based in PG would go to White Beach at night! It is too far away.
On both occasions, 60-70yrs old man with a young female were mentioned and repugnance was indicated. So I wonder what would happen if the postion of the sex is reversed.

---------- Post added January 16th, 2015 at 09:15 AM ----------

Gulp... heading there in two months
Only if you are looking for it!!
Enjoy your trip.

I have sent lots of people here including several families, with no complaints. I do explain where to go and stay and have only had praise about Sebang!

It it is safe for families! Can you say that about your home?

Here's my suggestion to fun scuba and Luko, don't go back if you didn't like it.

I've been to Europe and saw the seedy side of life there and wasn't impressed, I'm under the impression human trafficking is rife there in the sex industry.
That is despicable.
Please do not throw stones from glass houses. :no:

To people considering Sebang check out the many positive posts and information given :D

Hi all
I think funscuba has got a point here although I agree with other posters as well.
I went to Sabang and stayed at Capt Greggs a while ago (please see trip report). After travelling around Leyte/Samar and not getting a dive I decided to keep it easy and travel down from Manila to PG. Greggs is in the middle of the strip and at night I found that the only life was in the girlie bars. There are a few other places but very few folk in them. Time of year maybe? They didn't have the floating bars going during my stay. I used to go to Cocos for a beer with the divers I met (all male) but because I wasn't interested in the girls I had had enough after an hour max. The sports bar nearby was ok for a game of pool etc. There were a few freelance girls in there but not really any hassle. If you walk along to Small and Big Lalaguna in the evenings then 20M from Cocos it is a succession of nice restaurants/resorts/accommodation which could be anywhere in that part of the world.
I didn't see many Western couples or families around but then it was very quiet. I suppose the first question is - would you take the wife/family?
I don't think I would take them to Greggs to be honest but I would be happy to stay in Small or Big Lalaguna.
The next question is how far you are willing to compromise on the topside scene to do the dives at a location? I expected the diving here to be average due to the popularity and ease of access from Manila but have to say I was surprised how good it was. Verde Island was world class, I had a top dive at West Escarcio which was up there with the best I've done for volume of fish. The point is that to get dives that good usually involves staying somewhere remote where there is nothing going on apart from an evening meal in your resort (eg Bunaken). At least here you have the choice and I have to say I personally don't find the girls offensive. I don't think they would give you any grief if you are with your Wife/family.

One of the reasons I like Asia Divers and El Galleon, it is outside of the main drag so to speak and Point Bar above the dive centre is sufficient staggering distance for me to return to my bed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom