Puerto Morelos or Playa del Carmen? Where do YOU prefer to dive and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cav

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As in the title, which do you prefer out of:

• Playa del Carmen
  • Puerto Morelos

Why do you prefer your choice?

I will suggest Playa del Carmen, due to the location. From here you can acces easily to Cozumel, the cenotes, Playa del Carmen local reefs and Puerto Morelos for the wreck and reef diving.
Cheers.

But if you don't like the confusion and scads of people choose PM

Puerto M. is Awesome, the town is just right and the food is good. the ferry leaves from PDC it is more commercial, and the Cenotes are close, but I like quiet and PM rocks.

You will have a lot more options from Playa Del Carmen. Most of the cenotes and tourist attractions are south of Playa. The Mayan is known for their world class cenotes which most of them are south of Playa. Cozumel is known for it's world class ocean diving which is a quick ferry ride from Playa. You will be also a lot closer to the reefs around Akumal. Also Nico can correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think but the taxi union will allow the dive shops to pick up clients north of Playa?

If you are looking for someone to dive with in Mexico, Nicolas has a great dive shop that does both cenote & ocean diving and gets great reviews here and on Trip Advisor. I have dove with him for the past 3 years and have nothing but good things to say about him. CenoteXperience

Last edited:
Hey Nat!
It all depends on what you are looking for. Playa del Carmen is more lively, with an active night life, parties, bars, restaurants and lots of diving spots are closer to Playa. Puerto is a bit more chill and relaxing.
:)

I just got back from a trip to Playa Del Carmen, 10/13-10/19, where I did 4 local dives (through Pro Dive Mexico, it was the shop at my hotel). Did 3 nice reef drift dives and 1 wreck. All were close to shore, short boat trips. Would definitely recommend diving in Playa Del Carmen. I know others mentioned the cenotes, I opted not to dive there because it seemed similar to a local spring in to me (Devil's Den in FL) but heard it was nearby and definitely worth checking out.

+1 for PM. I have been there twice and loved both times greatly. PM is quieter than PDC and much more simpler and less commercial.

Dived with Brett both times, owner of Dive In Puerto Morelos...great shop.

I haven't been to Puerto Morelos, but Playa is underrated in my opinion. You can reef, cenote, and bull shark dive (seasonally) there. Also Cozumel is a doable boat ride away.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom