Puerto Rico Diving Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

I'll be in San Juan later this week. The hotel recommended an outfit called "Sea Ventures". They have two boats from the following locations Fajardo and Humacao, which seem to service the northeast and southeast of the island respectively. From Fajardo, the boat ride would be 40minutes to shallow dives sites with 20-40' visibility. From Humacao the boat trip would be 10min to dive sites with far greater visibility. With that information it sounds we should select the boat from Humacao.

The skill level of my group is beginner to intermediate. One member is prone to seasickness...

Has anyone dove with Sea Ventures? Any further description, or preference, of dive sites to aid our decision would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Ken

Dove with Sea Ventures at Copamarina in Guanica about a year and a half ago. The diving was good there is a wall about a mile off the coast lots of fish the coral was in good shape. There are some cool trenches to dive at around a 100fsw. Saw manatee on one of the dives, all in all good diving and I'd go there again. As far as Sea Ventures, the people running it when we were there were great (Bill and Shauna and their crew). They did however have LOTS of problems with the boats.. If the boat problems are fixed I'd recommend them...
Of course your milage may vary depending on whose running the place now....

squee!:
Hi! I didn't realize there were so many other divers living in Puerto Rico! How often do you guys dive? My favorite op on the island is Angel down in parguera. I try to get down there about twice a month or so. Anyone interested in doing a Mona trip with me?

HI Squee, due to work, can't dive during the week so I dive every weekend I can if the weather permits some diving.

You may want to visit Mona Island half way between PR and Dom. Rep., but that trip is a multiple day affair including some camping on Mona. Some times you can find a Mona suicidal trip in which you depart from Boqueron on the west coast at 5:00 AM and dive the first dive around 9:00 AM, Brunch at the island around noon and after the third dive around 3:00 PM head back to Boqueron for a long drive to your hotel or home.

Mona is known as the Galapagos of the caribbean, and believe me, I haven't seen anything better in the caribbean.
Visibility usually ranges in the 150+ and depths varies from 10 ft near shore to 60fsw over the south wall and averaging 80fsw in front of the north precipices.
Abundant sea life and shark sightings are comon in this waters.

If you're lucky enough to get to Monito (a rock 3 miles NW Mona), that I promise is a dive you would never forget, my 13 Monito dives are the best ever, you basically don't know what pelagic will cruise by, a very advanced dive with ripping currents and a depth ranging from 80 fsw near the rock and 140fsw at a 100 ft away from the rock and droping fast, If you miss the rock, next stop is Dom. Rep. some 37 miles west, but definetely the best diving I've done.

I wouldn't worry about the drive over the mountains to San Juan after diving, I've been doing it for 25 yrs and no problems so far, don't know if deco dives would be a factor, but with the diving operators here, you won't be doing any deco dives.

And yes, I would love to go to Mona again and again and again. after diving Mona more than 50 times, still the best dive I can do.

jedah:
How does La Parguera compare with Culebras??

Thanks!

J.

First pic is some souls cruising over the wall edge at Parguera in a very good day.
Depth at the top of the wall is 65fsw, at the bottom of the wall ????????, look at the noaa charts.
Second pic is me at the top of the wall in the same day, my avatar is same day, but at around 45fsw mid water column over the top of the wall.

Can't find any Digital pics from Culebra, but will scan some tonight if I can find them.
Average depth in Culebra is around 65fsw to 85fsw depending on site, but last dives are usually done in less than 40fsw, Vis ranging from a few ft in a bad day to more than 100ft on a very good day

I would say Parguera is 4star diving and Culebra is 3.5star diving, both really good.

divernva:
Hello,

I'll be in San Juan later this week. The hotel recommended an outfit called "Sea Ventures". They have two boats from the following locations Fajardo and Humacao, which seem to service the northeast and southeast of the island respectively. From Fajardo, the boat ride would be 40minutes to shallow dives sites with 20-40' visibility. From Humacao the boat trip would be 10min to dive sites with far greater visibility. With that information it sounds we should select the boat from Humacao.

The skill level of my group is beginner to intermediate. One member is prone to seasickness...

Has anyone dove with Sea Ventures? Any further description, or preference, of dive sites to aid our decision would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Ken

If I'm not mistaken, the operation you're refering are one in El Conquistador in Fajardo and the one from Palmas Del Mar in Humacao.
I did one trip with the El Conquistador outfit about 2 yrs ago and they are a good operation also, thou more espensive than the others. Very profesional and a GREAT boat.
I haven't dive with the Humacao Outfit so I don't know about them, If you're coming in the weekend, I might be able to tag along and try the Humacao operation with you, just let me know if interested.

I believe that the Fajardo operation (including Culebra and Vieques) would be more apropiate for the beguiner diver since at Humacao the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea meet and is prone to current and surf.

Fajardo and Culebra are my backyard dives, just a 60 min drive from San Juan and viola, good diving at a moderate price.
Fajardo is a 10 to 20 min boat ride and depth range from 20fsw at Lobos and averaging 65fsw at Palominos Wall.
Around Palominos island, I've had 2 Dolphin encounters in the last 3 yrs, these are wild Dolphins, they appear from nowhere, circle you a couple of times and disappear back out to sea, a very thrilling experience in my opinion.

rje634:
Dove with Sea Ventures at Copamarina in Guanica about a year and a half ago. The diving was good there is a wall about a mile off the coast lots of fish the coral was in good shape. There are some cool trenches to dive at around a 100fsw. Saw manatee on one of the dives, all in all good diving and I'd go there again. As far as Sea Ventures, the people running it when we were there were great (Bill and Shauna and their crew). They did however have LOTS of problems with the boats.. If the boat problems are fixed I'd recommend them...
Of course your milage may vary depending on whose running the place now....

I went with Copamarina about 5 yrs ago but the operation was run by other people, I heard that since I dove with them, there have been at least 3 new owners, don't know for sure.
What I do know is that they visit same sites as Parguera Divers and Paradise Scuba. Copamarina is located in Guanica, next to Lajas in the southwest, so I did probably save a buck and go with Paradise Scuba or Parguera Divers.

divernva:
Thanks rje634,

Do they pump nitrox for some the deeper dives?

You can find Nitrox in most Metro area shops Akuasport, La Casa Del Buzo, Ocean Sports and Bluewater Scuba may acomodate any Nitrox requirements as far as I know.
I use Akuasport since is a 2 min drive from my home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom