Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's SI what makes you sick, not the ride. If the actual ride is the culprit, then you potentially have bigger issues with your health.
I can spend the SI in the water most of the time. But you're right, the SI is killer if I spend it in the boat. Not fun at all. I like diving in places like Roatan and Ambergris Caye where they take you back to the dock between dives. I need to get out to Bonaire.

The only thing that worked was scopolamine, but that made my vision blurry so I couldn't see anything!
Something to consider...there are oral formations, and even where not routinely available it may be possible to have a compounding pharmacy make it for you, the advantage being that you could have it made half the regular strength and see if that gives you the benefits without the blurry vision.

Not all pharmacies are compounding pharmacies, but if you check around you can probably find one not too far away, and you'll need a prescription.

I also get sea sick on long and rough boat rides.

For whatever it's worth - my friend uses this (snake oil imho), but he says it helps immensely to put some under his nose

1701870242833.png

imagine how many more are on the island !

1702386396062.png

Which dive shop on Puerto Rico has the shortest boat rides? I'm going for a work trip and I'd like to get some diving in the weekend before but I also get sea sick on long and rough boat rides. Also it needs to be on the main island.
I've been out with 2 off the west coast (one appears to be out of business now), one south, and one out of Fajardo. With the exception of the Fajardo trip that went all the way to Culebra, they were all short rides. West and south has nice "local reefs", so you could ask for one of those dives. In my experience you often end up getting those even if you book the further destinations like Desecheo, the wall, or that southern island (can't remember the name). Maybe things are picking up now, but in 2021 and 2022 the boats didn't run much, we had many trips cancelled and 2 of 4 we were the only two divers on the boats -- so they wouldn't take you far at all, one site we could have swam to.

All that said -- I highly recommend Taino Divers on the west coast. I did two local dives with them, and they were great. It is a unique experience how they load the boat without a dock, from the beach, and the staff is awesome.

Or skip the boat and just shore dive Crash Boat. I've been there dozens of times and most days the viz is almost as good as the near-shore boat dives (better than some), and there is more life, either large rays or small/medium sea turtles depending on the time of year (I think you'll see turtles in winter, rays in summer). The coral is growing on man-made objects, so not totally natural, but the young coral looks healthier than others we saw, including Culebra. Just like a boat dive, you can do a giant stride entry off the pier and just drop straight down, doesn't get much easier.

I didn't have my GoPro for the previous boat trips, but here is a video of that easy entry at Crash Boat:

I also vouch for Crash Boat. Really nice shore dive.

Back
Top Bottom