Purchase Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

at least he didn't say apeks!

ScottZeagle:
:11:
:11ztongue

Oh yea... or if you want the bestest coolest geatest reg with great manufacturer backing and breaths for you, and makes cappuccino for you in the morning... do a Zeagle Flathead :59: !

HEY! My Flathead VI / ZX don't make no cappuccino! See... I should have bought it from Larry :)

I bought a r190 octo from LP as well last year, it did have the serial numbers, packaging, etc, and has worked flawlessy. However, after purchasing items from Larry @ scubatoys.com, I'll not be using LP again. (for non local LDS purchases anyway). Larry gives full factory warranty, and their customer service is excellent.

I called LP customer service awhile back, and while they answered the questions, the attitude was "quit bothering me." Larry was the opposite, happy to answer questions, and BS about the industry in general.

Are you going to feel comfortable now with possible gray market and/or questionable regs with no factory warranty? Yes, LP may cover the equipment with their in-house warranty, but is it worth the hassle? Scubapro equipment (or the coffee-making Zeagle regs with the killer cool logo) from scubatoys can be serviced anywhere under warranty, not just at LP in NY. You have a problem in Hawaii, their warranty is useless.
By the way, Scott, you can send a set of those nice flatheads my way to "test" any time you wish! (grin) Niiiiicccceee.

Local LDS or scubatoys for me.
Jeff

scubadobadoo:
I live in NYC and go to Leisure Pro's store once a week. ... They match any original warranty including parts on your annual service ... as long as you use THEM for service and warranty problems that may come up.

Have you ever had a chance to take a look at LP's service shop? How professional and knowledgeable do they look? They advertise that their "service technicians are among the best in the business," but not being able to visit the place I take that with a grain of salt.

On the other hand, aside from other criticisms, I've also read comments on ScubaBoard -- I don't know how well-justified -- that their technicians aren't even qualified... but I take bad-mouthing like that also with a grain of salt.

I ordered a Sherwood reg from LP last summer. I could get it serviced with no questions here in Poland, if I could find a dealer closer than halfway across the country. I'm therefore considering sending the reg back to LP for service. But I'd really like to find out a bit more about their service qualifications first. Which would include their being able to get the rebuild kits, I guess.

--Marek

farfromwater:
Yes, LP may cover the equipment with their in-house warranty, but is it worth the hassle? Scubapro equipment (or the coffee-making Zeagle regs with the killer cool logo) from scubatoys can be serviced anywhere under warranty, not just at LP in NY. You have a problem in Hawaii, their warranty is useless.

So what! Warranty is just that. You can still get the equipment serviced anywhere. All the shops I know service anything you bring them regardless of point of origin. You WILL have to payfor the service but in most cases is not expensive work. The money you save at LP (ScubaToys excluded) will pay for years of warranty work (which is rare). Even with a warranty you still pay for service. The warranty argument is a poor one. The value-add argument is one of those things you can't put a price on. One thing is pretty obvious, when you can buy a reg at almost half the price, one must calculate the cash value of that warranty and future value of the money spent up front.

msandler:
So what! Warranty is just that. You can still get the equipment serviced anywhere. Even with a warranty you still pay for service. The warranty argument is a poor one. The value-add argument is one of those things you can't put a price on. One thing is pretty obvious, when you can buy a reg at almost half the price, one must calculate the cash value of that warranty and future value of the money spent up front.
You're missing my point Mike. Scubatoys and Leisurepro have the same price on most items. LP's warranty is in-house only. Scubatoys has factory warranty. Thus, he has a problem in Hawaii on his trip (within the 2 yr warranty period), the repairs are free and he can get repairs in Hawaii, covered by warranty. Of course you can get regs serviced anywhere, it's the 1st two years where the warranty will cover any problems for free that I'm talking about. Worldwide warranty vs. LP one location only warranty. Same price.
You are right, the cash you save up front buys a LOT of service/repairs, but why buy gray market questionable regs with the serial numbers filed off when you can get new factory backed stuff for the same price. And with better service and faster shipping?
Just my opinion.

Thanks... Appreciate the plug... and just want to toss in one additional thought. With a reg like a 650, scubapro knows which serial numbers have the problem, and can notify customers who have filed warranty papers to bring it in for the "fix". Would you even be notified if you have a gray market item that has a recall?? No... maybe you'll find out by seeing a posting on a board - but the company will not notify you. In some ways, I feel that is one of the most important aspects of buying authorized gear.

In the last few years, I have seen recalls on various equipment from Aeris, Oceanic, Sherwood, Genesis, Atomic, Tusa, ScubaPro, Uwatec, etc. If something that could have been easily fixed goes wrong on a reg at 100 feet, probably the words coming from my mouth will not be, "Yea but think of the 8 dollars I saved..."

farfromwater:
You're missing my point Mike. Scubatoys and Leisurepro have the same price on most items. LP's warranty is in-house only. Scubatoys has factory warranty. Thus, he has a problem in Hawaii on his trip (within the 2 yr warranty period), the repairs are free and he can get repairs in Hawaii, covered by warranty. Of course you can get regs serviced anywhere, it's the 1st two years where the warranty will cover any problems for free that I'm talking about. Worldwide warranty vs. LP one location only warranty. Same price.
You are right, the cash you save up front buys a LOT of service/repairs, but why buy gray market questionable regs with the serial numbers filed off when you can get new factory backed stuff for the same price. And with better service and faster shipping?
Just my opinion.

Yes, but if we are talking Scubapro regs, then there are other points to consider.
SP regs have a lifetime warrenty plus "parts for life" if you purchase from an authorized USA SP dealer. It's not just 2 years. (I put almost zero value in the warrenty because the annual labor costs can be quite high.) Authorized dealers including Scubatoys are not allowed to sell via internet and they are not permitted to discount more than 10% off MSRP. However, many dealers may bend the rules, but they have to be somewhat covert about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom