purchasing equipment saturday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow. $2835 tax EACH!??? you are an overpriced dive shops dream customer.

Before you go spend almsot $6k on gear for both of you, shop that around.
You can find a much better price on than that and save a couple thousand bucks.

BTW... the Digital SPG is a waste of money. Just something else to break and requires more batteries. Get a regular SPG and you'll be happy.

mels_2:
my husband and i are both purchasing full set up on saturday, It will be an expensive day. We already have fins, masks, snorkels, boots, gloves, and gear bags now we are purchasing the rest we have 3 packages to choose from the one we like has the following, since we are new we don't know if this is a good price. we have experience with them since this is the same equipment we rented. Can you give us some guidence with this, is it a good price?

Atomic b2
atomic z1 octo
digital spg, computer and compass console
30 lbs of lead weight
oceanic probe w/ lp hose weight integrated (provided it has a good fit)
2 aluminum tanks 80 or 63 (i'll get the 63 he will get the 80)
8mm semi dry polar extreme
comes with gloves, bag and local dive books (which we may opt out ofsince we have gloves and bags and only will use 1 set of books)

roughly $2835 includng tax

Based on the gear spec, I think I have a pretty good idea of where you're shopping and they are not that far out of line with everyone else. I just bought my rig 2 weeks ago and I spent $1350 before tanks and a computer. Also, my suit was only $350. Your's will obviously be a little more. Add in your computer plus $130 for an AL80 and your there. Not to mention that your reg (Atomic B2) is about $200 more than my Titan LX.

Note- At $350, my suit is custom (color, fit and features). 8 mils might also be overkill.

I have 2 suggestions for you:

1) Spec everything out on-line. Based on my research, the online guys are 20-25% less. This will provide a base line for you to work from. *** I'm not saying to make your purchase on line, that's up to you. After you figure in service, frustration when you have an issue (and you will) and that difference washes out quickly.

2) Take a look at United Divers. The sticker price looked a little high up front but in the end, they delivered the best value. Their service is also unbeatable.

FWIW, I like the shop that (I think) your looking at. Just trying to give you some options.

Why do you need tanks? Unless you going to get a compressor and dive out on your own boat or in some remote place, you're going to have to get the tanks filled, most likely at an LDS. Can't you just rent tanks from most LDS's? I get mine for US$5.

Hank49:
Why do you need tanks? Unless you going to get a compressor and dive out on your own boat or in some remote place, you're going to have to get the tanks filled, most likely at an LDS. Can't you just rent tanks from most LDS's? I get mine for US$5.

convenience

Hank49:
After 100 dives you've spent $500 on your tanks...

Tanks (the right tanks) are one of the best investments a diver can make.

crlavoie:
Based on the gear spec, I think I have a pretty good idea of where you're shopping and they are not that far out of line with everyone else. I just bought my rig 2 weeks ago and I spent $1350 before tanks and a computer. Also, my suit was only $350. Your's will obviously be a little more. Add in your computer plus $130 for an AL80 and your there. Not to mention that your reg (Atomic B2) is about $200 more than my Titan LX.

Note- At $350, my suit is custom (color, fit and features). 8 mils might also be overkill.

I have 2 suggestions for you:

1) Spec everything out on-line. Based on my research, the online guys are 20-25% less. This will provide a base line for you to work from. *** I'm not saying to make your purchase on line, that's up to you. After you figure in service, frustration when you have an issue (and you will) and that difference washes out quickly.

2) Take a look at United Divers. The sticker price looked a little high up front but in the end, they delivered the best value. Their service is also unbeatable.

FWIW, I like the shop that (I think) your looking at. Just trying to give you some options.

I'm trying to sort this out.

Regs should be about $450.
Good suit $400
Computer $350
Compass $60
SPG (glass/brass) $90
basic BC $400
AL80 $150
Lead with belt $50

Grand Total: $1950

Where the heck is the extra $900 going?

Heck, I could buy a full cave setup for $2900 if I already had skin gear.

I'd think long and hard about dropping $2800 each on recreational dive gear. That's a CHUNK of change.

thanks for the imput guys, I guess being new i was getting a bad deal....btw that is a discounted rate. so I guess i will continue to shop around, my problem is i am an odd size and need to try things on so i can't purchase online. But i will now be going to a differnt lds with my brother who has been using the same shop for yrs and basically said the same things all of you are saying...only talking to my like a brother would...what are you bleeping idiot. I let you all know what we do or don't purchase.

jonnythan:
After 100 dives you've spent $500 on your tanks...

Tanks (the right tanks) are one of the best investments a diver can make.

If you drive to all your dive spots, you're golden. Fortunately, that's about where I am. But people who vacation dive, are generally flying, and those tanks are sitting at home. Fortunately, AL80s are dirt cheap. Used ones about $60-$90. About twice that for new ones.

I don't think someone buying full coldwater gear locally is planning on doing nothing but vacation diving :wink:

You should give Larry at Scubatoys.com a call. I understand needing to try stuff on, but he will give you a great deal on regulators, tanks, spg's and a BCD assuming he carry's one that you have tried on. And the nice thing about about it is that it will all be covered under the manufactures warranty.

Back
Top Bottom