Purchasing equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

islandguy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a new diver and I would like to purchase my own equipment. I do not need the top of the line equipment but would like something in the middle. I have been looking at some Oceanic equipment and would like any thoughts on the flex bc, the versa pro air nitrox combo computer, GT DX4 Diaphram regulator :profile: , and the slimline octo.

Thanks
Islandguy

islandguy:
I am a new diver and I would like to purchase my own equipment. I do not need the top of the line equipment but would like something in the middle. I have been looking at some Oceanic equipment and would like any thoughts on the flex bc, the versa pro air nitrox combo computer, GT DX4 Diaphram regulator :profile: , and the slimline octo.

Thanks
Islandguy
Let me start you off. 1st, run an individual search on each piece of equipment. I know there is plenty of info out there on the Versa Pro because this is where I found out all of my information.

2nd, talk to your friends and any LDS near you.

3rd, search the internet for the best price and see if any LDS can compete. RUn a search on LP or leisurepro and read the threads on the risks, benefits.

I know it is not much, but it can get you started.

islandguy:

Thanks
Islandguy

I'm a beginner buying equipment too. I few things I've found out:

1) With a BC, Fit mtters more then brand. Try a bunch of them on
with weights and tank. I did this and for me the AquaLung Malibu
was absolutely perfect. Some others at over $100 more just did not
work as well.

2) Everyone says that everyonewho tries a back inflation over
a jacket type likes it. So I went with the back inflate type.
But deside which style you want then try them on. Don't
pick a brand name first - I think that's backwards. The name
on the front is the least importent feature

3) Most of the non-suunto computers are made by "Pelagic" and
are thereforvery much alike. Your choise is betwen any one of
these and a Suunto. Download and read the manuals. They are
all on-line in PDF format.

4) about Octos - there is a good argument to get the same one
as your primary (but yellow) and to make sure it looks and works
like a "standard" 2nd stage. When someone needs it they don't
want to have to turnit around four times to figure it out

My first gear purchase was to get something that would last me forever so I don't have to keep chucking in da dough. I bought a used Dacor Talon BC, AL Legend LX regs, a Suunto cobra and got some used Beuchat X-Jet fins that nobody's ever heard of (they rock, though!).

This was pricey, what I probably should have done was gone with a mid-price scuba package from Sherwood, Dacor, or something. They sell, BC/reg/guage combos for a good price. However, the computer has been the most useful thing I own, and the only purchase I have ABSOLUTELY no regrets.

I wish I had gotten a Backplate and wings instead of a jacket style bc, since it helps so much with trim, and I had a bit of buyers remorse over the Legend regulator setup b/c they were not cheap (although I LOVE them!).

check out some of the packages on LeisurePro.com or ScubaToys... then go and actually buy from your LDS (unless they can't come near the price).

(*stepping up on soapbox*)

A good relationship with a LDS is IMHO the most valuable thing you'll ever have related to diving. My LDS hooks me up with a ton of stuff... free rentals for some of my buddies, free air, an occasional free nitrox fill. Of course, I've spent a lot of money there and Uncle Sam's check will be more or less written over to them... (drysuit *gurgle*)

Hope this helps.

islandguy:

Thanks
Islandguy

Ask yourself a question.

What kinda of diver do I want to be in a year or three from now? Thats the gear you should be looking at buying.

If your going to be diving a few times a year in warm water - thats one thing.

If your doing warm and cold water diving multiple times a year - thats another thing...

If you see yourself going tech and doing ALOT of diving - thats another.

This will help you limit your pruchases to one of any given item - vs having to upgrade later on. You might pay a little more now - but you won't be paying 2x when you have to get a new kit later on.

PolsVoice:
check out some of the packages on LeisurePro.com or ScubaToys... then go and actually buy from your LDS (unless they can't come near the price).

A good relationship with a LDS is IMHO the most valuable thing you'll ever have related to diving.

Hey PolsVoice... You're in Dallas... That makes us a LDS as well....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom