Purge valve in mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both purge and regular masks. the purge valve makes it easier to purge though it does not help much to worry about it. The big disadvantage I found was how easy dirt is accumulating in the purge valve area and it's difficult to clean it. I use it now as a backup. Would not buy a purge mask again.

Years ago, rubber masks came in less styles and didn't seal to the face as well as a modern mask. I had one with valve the size of a quarter, right in front. A black "Healthways Scuba View". The purge valve was common when divers had to purge a lot.

Tried the Atomic Frameless mask? It fits a lot of faces. I rarely have to purge using that. If you have a hard-to-seal face, a purge valve may be handy. Otherwise, they are a thing of the past.

Good luck with it.

Thanks. I do have a valveless back-up mask but confess that only wear it if going on an overhead environment like a wreck penetration or cavern dive. The valve makes mask clearing easier. I know I should carry a spare but because most of the storage space is taken up by camera kit, torches, DSMB etc, I do not bother to take the second mask as a spare. I should, I guess.

I am surprised that you guys do not recommend masks with purge valves. When I went on a liveaboard dive in Bermuda in 2007, my American buddy told me that they were very popular among the US divers. Also, on a recent trip to the Red Sea, 6 out of 7 Americans on board had masks with purge valves. I guess it was just a coincidence, then.

I am one of two divers that I know who has a purge valve on their primary mask. I do a lot of head down diving working with my hands. Just easier for me to clear the mask in that position with a purge valve than rotating up to clear the mask. Is it a gizmo, yes. Is it adding another thing to break, yes. For me, it works but I would not recommend it for other divers.

i'm also newbie in scuba though i'm skin diving for almost 5 years now. My tusa imprex hyperdry also has a purge valve i feel very comfortable with it, the only problem I got with it was when i accidentally drop it and the purge valve protection cover was craked but it is still working fine and never get flooded yet through the crack. Since its quite old now and for safety reason i use it only now for skin diving and bought a new mask of the same model (w/ purge valve) since I feel very confortable and feel having better viewing when using it.

I personally dont get it... my mask has a purge valve on it... its called the skirt. I clear my mask in nearly any position... just remember when you are 'tilting' you are really only trying to protect the upper (shallowest or highest in the watercolumn) seal while promoting the air you exhale to compromise the lowest or deeper seal. If you are inverted, you would press tighter against the edges closer to your nose and relieve some of the pressure on the forehead edge... with a bit of practice, it gets pretty easy

.......I like and have been using a purge valved mask for years.......and my life insurance company doesn't even make me pay higher premiums either! I also have a purgeless Atomic frameless.....again, I've never had any issues with a purge mask and prefer it.......I also carry a spare mask in a BC mask pocket (my Atomic one) in case anything ever happens...like a mask strap breaking or somehow me or my buddy losing a mask mid-dive.

:shakehead:I do not like them.
Just another failure point. :depressed:
This being said.......:idk:
If you like them, by all means, wear/use/dive one!! :)
Do what makes you happy, comfortable, and swim faster. :D
One of my regular dive buddies loves his. :eyebrow:
He dives alumimum 100's to my steel 130's. :rofl3:
He always has more air than me at the end of our dives together.:idk:
Perhaps I need to get one after all, I probabably am wasting that extra 30 cubic feet with my non purging mask, mask purging procedure:crafty:.......
Hmmmmmm......

Chug

I have a purge I also live in America. It is a personal opionion. I have close to 200 dives and have had the mask 2 years. It was a replacement for my other purge that the lense cracked in it. The manufactor made it up to me. So there you go all you na sayers I had a purge valve to out last a lense!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom