Purto Galera in end of June/early July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gaudencio:
Hi packman,
I just came back yesterday from a ( June 11-13) 3day diving at Puerto galera. Weather is very good. Surf is still calm. visibility not as good as May 15. The currents are strong in the afternoon. We have to do canyons and horse head only in the morning. Though the schooling fishes at the canyons are not around. But the big groupers and sweet lips are there near the canyons Fishbowl. My guide said that there have been local spearfishing activities during the evening. The reason why the fishes seems to be a little scared of divers. especially the jacks and tuna.
But the diving was great and I think the weather might hold on like this till the end of June. We might be going back to PG by ist week of July.
Hope this helps.

So what was the vis? Seems like there's nothing on Diversions (local email group) besides sales at the LDS and divers nights out at the bars!!!

was there also june 10-12, dove at sharks cave and sinandigan wall.. great visibility and nice warm water,

So what was the vis? Seems like there's nothing on Diversions (local email group) besides sales at the LDS and divers nights out at the bars!!!

WEst escarceo - 20-25 mts
Horse head , Kilimar wall , monkey beach , Canyons 15-20 mts
Christopher wreck 10-15 mts

WEst escarceo - 20-25 mts
Horse head , Kilimar wall , monkey beach , Canyons 15-20 mts
Christopher wreck 10-15 mts

Ben_ca:
Seems like there's nothing on Diversions (local email group) besides sales at the LDS and divers nights out at the bars!!!

that's why i dont subscribe to that local email group

pakman:
my old friends who are expats in Tokyo have used them frequently and have strongly recommended them.

Pakman,

Who are your friends? Maybe I know them.

Drew

Well just got back tonite from the Philippines. Had a great time diving in PG. Have to admit I was pleasantly surprised as I wasn't expecting too much in terms of the PG dive sites and was going mainly to meet up with some old friends. Had some nice lightning shows over Bantangas but it stayed dry in PG except for my last day of diving (Mon). Visibility was very good and plenty of critters about. Got a nice current running for fast drift dive (or should I say fly-by...) at Kilima. Canyons was great. Got some decent photos from the various sites especially at the wrecks (well at least for an ameteur like me...). Horse fish, frog fishes, ghost pipe fish, squid, usual lions, eels, snakes, nudi's, clowns, a remora that hung out on my tank to the rest of my dive group's amusement, and even the triggers were well behaved... Also surfaced from one of our last dives for the 2nd day to one of the most colorful sunsets I've seen. Great folks over at Asia Divers (dove w/ DM's Pete, Alli, and Sam) and there was an overall fun international group of divers there. The Point's a great watering hole and there were some good times during the weekend. Found it amusing getting our gear ready for the 1st dive of the mornings and watching the parade of the local ladies making the walk of shame back from the various hotels still dressed in their evening attire... only in the Philippines... lol

Drew - don't know if you know them but a gal name Rika and Jason and their gang of bankers/divers from Tokyo. I've think they've hook up with Tommy on his various Agressor liveaboards (palau, etc).

Given how convenient it is from Hong Kong, I am definitely going to go back again for an extended trip.

pakman,

Sounds like you had a typical (i.e. GREAT) PG trip. Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Rika and Jason don't ring a bell, but may have met them. I do know Allison that often goes on Tommy's trips. She a financial advisor from Japan but not sure if she is in the same group.

Speaking of Aggressors, went to Truk with Sam last month and had a blast.

Cheers,
Drew

PG is located on the north eastern end of Mindoro island, whichis the 6th biggest island in the Phil. The wind and moisture during June to august come from the Southwest. thus, it can be raining cats and dogs in manila and the water choppy in nearby anilao, but you can bet your bottom dollar that the seas will be calm and diving excellent BOTH at galera and at San Agapito Pt in Verde island. As a matter of fact I galera and PG were the top destinations in a magazine article I wrote for an in flight mag titled: Where to dive during the Habagat (Southwest Monsoon)

The crossing from batangas City to galera and from galera to verde island might be a little rough though.

Back
Top Bottom