[Q]Scuba Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonathan920

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I had went into many forums and saw lots of commet so just wanna ask some question and look at your opinion
1)Is it better to wear your suit with undergarments or with it?Why?

2)In singapore our coruse requires people to know how to swim 200m or 300m with fins/mask/snorkel. If i dont know how to swim.. will i know how to snorkel? (stupid question)

Comfort in the water is key. If you are not able to swim, adding gear is just more things to deal with along with staying afloat. There are many scenarios that swimming maybe required, especially with BC failure. For safe and comfortable diving, you have to start with the basics.

Good luck!
Carolyn:shark2:

I had went into many forums and saw lots of commet so just wanna ask some question and look at your opinion
1)Is it better to wear your suit with undergarments or with it?Why?

2)In singapore our coruse requires people to know how to swim 200m or 300m with fins/mask/snorkel. If i dont know how to swim.. will i know how to snorkel? (stupid question)

1) Sorry Jonathan I am not sure exactly what you are referring to here? Perhaps rephrase the question :)

2) If you can't swim you need to learn before you start scuba diving, others may disagree, but I strongly suggest you learn. I personally would not buddy with someone who could not swim. For example, my partner cannot swim, and whilst I would *love* him to come diving with me if he ever decides to get his scuba diving license I would tell him he has to learn or I won't dive with him!

Maybe you could enroll in a swim class before you start a scuba diving course? I am sure it won't take you long to get up to scratch for a diving course. To be honest, I would be wary of a swim test that allows you to wear fins/mask/snorkel, you should be able to swim 200-300m without any of that so the course sounds a bit dodge if they allow you to do the swim test like that....

Jonathan, I'm not sure what you mean when you say you don't know how to swim. That description describes a large range - from folks who absolutely can't swim at all and would risk drowning if they fell into a pool, to others who are poor swimmers but could manage short distances or time periods OK.

I fall into the second category. I'm negatively bouyant (I sink) so surface swimming is hard work, my skills are limited, and as a lifelong cyclist my greatest strength is in my legs, which are of limited help in swimming. Before becoming a diver, I could swim farther and faster underwater, coming up for air at intervals than I could swim on the surface.

However with a snorkel and fins, I can swim forever. Not having to lift my head out to breathe helps with the bouyancy issue, and the fins allow me to fully utilize my leg strength and endurance.

So you may be like me, can't swim but can snorkel, and could dive. But if you fall into the truely unable to swim group, I strongly doubt you'll be comfortable enough in water to snorkel, much less scuba. It isn't that you need to be a great swimmer, but poor swimmers have a greater fear of drowning (rightfully so) and are more likely to panic if a problem arises.

You need to honestly assess your own skills, and consult with a pro before going farther.

We had a few very weak swimmers in our OW class who "cheated" by wearing wetsuits without any additional weight. I remember treading water and getting a little winded, while they were basically floating!
I would suggest swimming lessons - they're probable fairly cheap and will certainly increase your comfort in the water.

Ben

Both PADI and SSI allow the swim test to be done with fins/mask/snorkel, FYI. It's in the standards, nothing to do with the facility unless they're breaking standards of some other agency.

Not always. Local rules take precedent. For example its illegal in europe to offer the snorkel - it MUST be the swim regardless of agency.

On a personal note i wouldnt entertain taking a person who couldn't swim in water deeper than they can wade in.

As a former lifeguard, I have dealt with near drownings because of the snorkel, amongst other issues. When a wave hits them and fills the snorkel with water, many unexperienced swimmers/snorkelers have sucked it in, panicked and under they went. Again, being able to maintain calm and being comfortable correcting the problem is key. I have choked with a snorkel when this happened to me, but since I know how to swim and tread water, it was easily recoverable. There are so many reasons to learn to swim, being in the ocean just multiplies issues if a person is a weak or non swimmer.

Carolyn:shark2:

Both PADI and SSI allow the swim test to be done with fins/mask/snorkel, FYI. It's in the standards, nothing to do with the facility unless they're breaking standards of some other agency.

When I did my OW SSI course, we had to do it with no fins/mask/snorkel/wetsuit. Personally, I would rather take a course that requires you to go beyond 'standards' (actually I did, and did an 8 dive OW course with extra pool work - I highly recommend doing a more involved course).

I did the 200 yards on my back and side. Can't quite get the correct motion doing freestyle anymore. Wish I could but the shoulders won't go along with it. Old age is tough Dudes. Luckily, I can tread water all day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom