Quarry Diving: 500 Dives in a Quarry - Are You SERIOUS???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not get it at all! I rarely dive the same site twice in the same year but I live on Long Island so there is water in every direction. I dove Dutch Springs once in 1974 so it maybe time to go back.

I dive quarry because 1) landlock 2) less $$ than ocean/trip 3) paying back student loans 4) dive or no dive :idk: = dive where and when u can

I dive a local quarry about 50 to 75 dives a year.
I am 1,000 miles from the ocean and 55 miles from my local quarry.
I can dive the quarry just about any time I like.
The quarry costs $20.00 to get in and $15.00 in gas to get there and back.
There is also the social part of quarry diving I like. You are with like minded people, and its a good way to spend a day off from work and the stress of life for little cost.

Don't get me wrong, i would love to be able to dive all over the world. There are just a few things holding me back, (2) kids in college and another one in 2 years.

Jim breslin

I dive at a quarry, (Bluestone Dive Resort) in Thomasville, NC because it is where I teach. I have no idea how many dives I have there. But, as I tell my students and as I have heard here, It is a cheap way to go blow bubbles. I would love to dive in Florida or our Coast every weekend, but I own a business that has me here 6 days a week. I have been to Rawlings, but not to Dutch and I can say that Quarry diving is what you make of it. My boys have dove there since they were very young and are now 16 and 18. I watched my oldest the other weekend and he looked so amazingly comfortable leading the dive. He had a blast playing with the fish, looking at the,yes rusting, Helicopter and PT boat. The point is WE had fun blowing bubbles in a place I all but live in during the Summer months. I would applaud those that have the time and means to dive in exotic locations, but for the rest of us we dive where we can!
Bottom line, IMHO, If a quarry is close by, support your local dive operation and spend some time with family or friends blowing bubbles. Isn't that why we all got in this in the first place? Just a thought.......

Bill Adams

Diving is better than not diving. A poor dive if much better than working. That being said, I've never dived at Dutch Springs and have no current plans to do so. I may dive there someday and am quite sure I would have fun, probably a lot of fun.

Best, Craig

I'm looking forward to hitting up Dutch in a little while - and probably for a little while, too. For the past 2.5 years, I've dived in Hawaii's lovely, clear waters, and even excursions away have been to other warm water spots, like Roatan and the Mexican caves. We're moving back home to NYC in a month - huzzah! - and there's no way I'm going to tackle Northeast diving without a tune-up or three in a quarry. I haven't worn cold-water kit in ages, and consequently have no idea how it will feel to run a reel, deploy an SMB or clip/unclip stage bottles wearing thick gloves - I'm used to doing all that stuff bare-handed. You can bet that as soon as I can afford a drysuit, I'll be back in the quarry learning how to fly the damn thing and ascertaining correct weighting, too. It's so much easier to do all that in a quarry than off a Northeast dive boat, and besides, I'd feel like a complete pillock for turning up on a Northeast dive boat without having confidence in myself and my ability to handle various gear modifications anyhow. My SO has also been diving a rebreather in warm water with only a wetsuit, and has resigned himself to a few quarry sessions for the same reasons.

I also recognize that we're lucky and have open water readily available to us. Lots of folks don't. We dive pretty much for free here in Hawaii, with only gas costs and O2 fills to worry about. If it's a specialized charter, we'll happily give the captain the money he needs, but for the most part, I just tag along if the boat's empty-ish while my SO is working on recreational charters. Back home in NY, we had the money (double income, child-free) to pay for local boat diving and gas costs, not to mention the odd warm-water or cave diving trip. But the quarry's still a mighty good thing to have around, and I'm grateful it's there - as I'm sure a lot of folks are.

I'm in the opposite situation, near the mighty Pacific and wish there was access to a calm quarry. At times the surf is just too rough, surge is strong, parking is a problem as well as a long walk to the beach. It's nice to have a place without currents and waves and just be able to swim underwater or try out your gear. And rinsing is easier from a fresh water dive.

Adam

Sometimes in the winter it's easier to cut a hole in the ice in a quarry where you can drive right up to the edge, than to haul your gear out over the ice pressure ridges on Lake Simcoe. IJS

Regarding all the expensive gear and specialized rigging you see at your quarry, a lot of folks prefer to practice with new gear or configurations in places like that. It isn't that they feel they "need" a rebreather in a quarry, it is that they would rather practice in a giant "pool" before heading to the ocean where conditions will be far less predictable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom