Question about air2's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cavelez

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am still new to scuba and slowly starting to get my own gear. I was at the shop the other day and they were showing me Air2's that go on your bcd auto inflate. Upon having a discussion with a few people in the chat room, i am now second guessing a choice for one of those, and instead going for a necklace rig Air2.

Any ideas out there?

An Air2 will work but there are so many better and less expensive alternatives. I finally retired my Air2 when Its location conflicted with my slug pony. With a conventional alternate you retain more options and $$$.

first of all there is no such thing as a necklace rig Air 2 Air 2 is a second stage integrated with a inflator valve some love them some hate them and both sides are going to be very set in their opinion either way. I personally love my Air 2 i like the large piano style buttons that are very easy for me to operate in cold gloved hands. The new Air 2 are now equipped with a balanced 2nd stage and breath very acceptably down to the 136 that I have tested mine. I do run a longer (48 inch) hose on my primary 2nd stage for donating purposes and I do also many times run a 3rd 2nd stage on a necklace as My primary secondary air source depending on which rig I am using. People say that the air 2 is not a good rig for air share. One you must know your equipment and 2 you would never donate a air 2 that is not what it is designed for. You give your primary second and breath your back up rig

AIR 2 has a place it is a very nice comfortable tool for recreational use. Try it you may very well like it , or not that is why there are so many choices out there

what fails more on a dive trip???? air 2 or a standard BC inflater???(which anyone can repair)one less air hose ???
giving my top notch reg to someone who cant read a gauge????i think not!

Just to clarify some terminology -- you need an alternate air source. You have several options. You can use an octo-inflator (eg. Air2, although there are other brands). You can use a standard second stage on a 36 or 40 inch hose, tucked into some kind of octo holder. Or you can use the primary donate system, giving an out-of-air diver your regulator and going to a second stage bungied beneath your chin.

There are arguments for and against each of these strategies, and if you search on Air2 here on SB, you will find many threads going through them.

But the first decision is whether you donate the primary or not, because if you do (bungied backup OR octo-inflator) you need a longer hose on your primary reg than the one that comes with it. Sharing gas on a 24" standard primary regulator hose is very uncomfortable.

Wow, we'll thanks all. Fortunately the shop near me allows us to try out equipment before buying it. So I definitely intend to try both out. But for practicalities sake I'm leaning more towards the bungee secondary and long hose on the primary.

I have used my Zeagle Air 2 for fifteen years. It's been reliable and easy to use. One thing to be sure to do if you choose an Air 2. EVERY dive, remind your buddy how to orally inflate your BCD. If you try to orally inflate an Air2 using the mouth piece, you will wind up deflating the BCD when you most need additional bouyancy.

Just remember to add this to your buddy check every time.

Back
Top Bottom