question about clipping spg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use 24" on all setups with no problem. It has always been the same no matter if it was SP, Atomics or Apeks. I have met very few people who actually need a 26" HP hose. Most that claimed they did almost always could have gotten by with 24" with practice. Of course there is always the freakish person on either side of the spectrum, but the average person just don't have that great of a difference in trunk length to make a difference.

boomx5:
I use 24" for doubles and singles. However, I've thought about a 26" hose for a singles rig since I like to run my tank a bit high on my bp. It just personal preference when you get to that point, but 24" works just fine.

Personal preference? What the #$%&? I thought you were squared away. See Dan's post, it really isn't necessary.

RTodd:
The proper hose length is 24". Did not look at pic. Does not matter if it is doubles or singles, 24 works for both (at least for apex and SP it does).

Saying that there is ONE particular hose length that will work for all divers is like saying all DIR divers should wear a M or XL dry suit. DIR gives REDOMMENDED lengths. My hoses (single tank) are: 24" for backup and 21" for inflator and pressure gauge. According to the DIR guidelines:

Inflator: "...the inflator must be long enough that it can reach the mouth, the dry
suit inflation valve, and the nose for ease of operation with one hand controlling all three maneuvers...."

HP: "...The hose should be short enough to stay out of the slipstream and long enough to view when unclipped..."

My backup is comfortably parked dead center of my chest, right below my neck. I tired all the recommended hose lengths, and especially the HP one was way too long at 24"

I'll add that when I buy dress shirts I just order them straight from the catalogue. Most stores don't even stock my size: 14 1/2 - 31 / 32. So i suppose i am one of the "freakish person on either side of the spectrum" that dan mentioned.

srbsep

Spoon:
guys dir recommends you clip your spg to your left hip d ring. just got a new apeks spg. real big brass one looks indestructible. the hose it came with is short and it wont reach down my left hip d ring. i clip it on my left d ring instead.. its very convenient as i can see it without unclipping it. this ok?

Are you routing the hose in front of the wing? I had problems with my DIR length hose until I figured out that the hose had to go in front of the wing.

Mike

jonnythan:
Well, it's not at all DIR. Whether it's OK or appropriate for your diving is another matter entirely.

It may or may not even be allowed in your class.

The proper course of action is to buy the right length hose.

Just curious, why isn't clipping the SPG on the shoulder D-ring DIR?

Mike

mwpowell:
Just curious, why isn't clipping the SPG on the shoulder D-ring DIR?

Mike

The short answer is it doesn't fit the system that way. You could do a baker's dozen list of the reasons. A few obvious ones are that the hose itself would then get in the way of stages which are clipped on the left, it is not as clean as the straight shot to your left hip d-ring, and once you learn the full system you really don't need to check your gas often since it is just to confirm it is where you think it is.

When I first put a 24" hose on my guage it reached the hip D-ring but seemed to short to me. In reality it wasn't and works just fine. I'm by no means a short person but most people have similar sized torsos anyways.

If you need a 26" hose to reach the D-ring, while a little unusual, it shouldn't hurt. The whole point in keeping it short, I think, is to keep the hose from bowing. If it doesn't bow what could be the problem. Saying it has to be a certain length seems to me to be missing the whole point.

True, but I don't think that is what some of us are really saying. What I see is entirely too many people claiming certain (usually the standard recommended) hose lengths, backplate lengths, etc. don't work for them when in fact it is more of a practice, proper deployment and/or a proper fitting problem.

cfenton:
When I first put a 24" hose on my guage it reached the hip D-ring but seemed to short to me. In reality it wasn't and works just fine. I'm by no means a short person but most people have similar sized torsos anyways.

If you need a 26" hose to reach the D-ring, while a little unusual, it shouldn't hurt. The whole point in keeping it short, I think, is to keep the hose from bowing. If it doesn't bow what could be the problem. Saying it has to be a certain length seems to me to be missing the whole point.

Dan Gibson:
True, but I don't think that is what some of us are really saying. What I see is entirely too many people claiming certain (usually the standard recommended) hose lengths, backplate lengths, etc. don't work for them when in fact it is more of a practice, proper deployment and/or a proper fitting problem.

I couldn't agree more. That was my point too: before I took my fundies I had the same misconception.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom