Question about dive logs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoxisPilot

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I got my OW last week, and I'm so thrilled to be able to involved myself in such an awesome sport! I do have a question, though...

This wasn't something I really thought to ask my instr. during class, but now I'm really curious.

I've seen a lot of different styles of dive logs out there, and it seems like no two logs ask for the same information, so I was wondering...what information is bottom-line necessary in a dive log? Let's say I wanted to just use a spiral notebook (or some write-in-the-rain paper), and jot out the information myself...what information do I really need to know? FOr example, one log asked the company providing the dive service, as well as the weight of my tank (both of which seem a little superfluous), while another had a line where I could write both the location and the dive site (which would seem to me to be the same thing.)

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it!

There is no standardization in dive logs.

A dive log can be as detailed and as inclusive as The Domesday Book, or it can be as simple as a little note pad with the day of the dive and the buddy's signature.

It's your history. YOU determine what you want to record.

I'm sure many here will be willing to share with you that which they feel is important to record with respect to your dives.

the K

You can use whatever you like. I just use the standard PADI log book pages but only because that is what my shop carries. I always log; date, location/dive site, depth and bottom time and buddy information. I also add notes if something interesting happended or I saw an unsual critter. It's you log, you can use it how you like. The only time I've ever been asked to show it to anyone was prior to my DM training and during a deposition regarding a Scuba incident.

I've seen a lot of different styles of dive logs out there, and it seems like no two logs ask for the same information, so I was wondering...what information is bottom-line necessary in a dive log?
Like they've said, whatever you want. The less you dive, the more details would help you -- if you don't dive often, knowing what you were wearing and how much weight you used would be useful, for example.

(Of course, you can see what *I* think is important by looking at *my* printable log pages. :biggrin:)
Let's say I wanted to just use a spiral notebook (or some write-in-the-rain paper), and jot out the information myself...
Don't use Rite in the Rain paper. It's great for damp top-side use, but RitR's DuraRite synthetic paper is much better. You can even use it underwater without it ever falling apart. (I ordered mine from Gear Merchant, since they don't have a $4 fee for orders under $25 like RitR's site, but you can find it all over the Net.)

Start off recording everything. As you get more experience, you'll learn what is important to you and you can stop recording what isn't. Do continue logging, I've met lots of old time divers who've told me they wished they'd kept a log.

Ask yourself this question ...

What information would be most helpful 3 months, 6 months/1 year from now when I dive this site again ???

Create a list of information that answers the above questions and compare it to the available log book formats. Go with the one that comes closest ...or better yet, create your own dive log pages.

So basically, no one is ever really going to ask for my log, so it's just whatever I think is most important to have recorded?

that's what i do.
date/time, location, temp/weather conditions, water temp, vis, tank i used, suit, weight, how i felt, ie. cold/hot, so on so forth.
i'll even add if there some type of local even that could affect my dive. portage quarry does a world record attempt evey year for the number of divers in the water at a time. yea it's fun but the vis goes to sheet fast.

So basically, no one is ever really going to ask for my log, so it's just whatever I think is most important to have recorded?

No. There ARE times when a dive op will ask to see your log. For example, to dive on the USS Oriskany off Pensacola, FL, you are supposed to be an AOW diver, have at least 20 logged dives and 2 in the last year deeper than 80'. Without being able to prove that you meet these requirements, you would not be allowed to dive there.

I would start with the log format that your shop or certifying agency uses. Fill in as much data as you can.

I used the regular PADI pages for my first 100 dives or so, now I just keep them all in software on my laptop.

If you're looking at doing advanced training like diving doubles, caves, deco or doing more professional training like Divemaster all the instructors I know want to look at a log book and see your experience.

In some places you dive there may be advanced dive sites i.e. depth, current, low vis, surge, etc. and the dive operator may want to review your dive log to see how long it's been since your last dive and do you have dive experience in these conditions. So keep logging your dives.

You can use anything you like from a spiral notebook to a PADI logbook to a computer log.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom