Question about diving internships

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I came across a website of a local diving centre. I noticed that they also offer diving internships. For me, who i am under 18 years old, exists the master scuba diver internship.

I contacted him but forgot to ask: Why would he do this?

The internship costs just 1000 EUROS, about 1500 USD. The internship includes: Cetification from OW (i am OW currently) to MSD, certification fees, manuals, ACCOMMODATION for 1 month, FULL EQUIPMENT set to keep, 5 specialties, minimum 50 dives.

What could HE gain from this? I will ask him too but i want some more opinions. Is there anything hidden here? The equipment alone cots much...

What is his benefit?

His website: Scuba Diving Internship Padi Dive Instructor Courses Cyprus

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
He doesn't say it in the information anywhere, but my guess is that as part of the "experience" you get to work in the shop rinsing wet suits, cleaining the pool, filling tanks, etc. So when you think about wages, taxes, etc. he is probably coming out ahead.

It's hard to see a lot of profit there, to be sure. Of course, the shop cost for the gear is far less than retail, and he may even get a further break from Mares for putting his professional staff into their equipment. I'm sure he owns the lodging, and it does not say that your board is included, and there may not be any kind of maid service (doesn't sound like it) so his costs are owning the building and providing the utilities. The advantages of attracting students are obvious; he has to have someone for those divemaster and instructor interns to help teach and guide!

He doesn't say it in the information anywhere, but my guess is that as part of the "experience" you get to work in the shop rinsing wet suits, cleaining the pool, filling tanks, etc. So when you think about wages, taxes, etc. he is probably coming out ahead.

That would be my guess. You add up all the course fees alone (particularly DM) and it's way over the fee he charges. And then the other stuff-accomodations- equipment--that you KEEP?

Well, if he offers you a job at the end of the internship then he is looking for future employees. And if you were to hire somebody, especially one who can get you sued if he/she makes a mistake who would you prefer to hire. A stranger with a resume or someone you trained yourself?

I came across a website of a local diving centre. I noticed that they also offer diving internships. For me, who i am under 18 years old, exists the master scuba diver internship.

I contacted him but forgot to ask: Why would he do this?

The internship costs just 1000 EUROS, about 1500 USD. The internship includes: Cetification from OW (i am OW currently) to MSD, certification fees, manuals, ACCOMMODATION for 1 month, FULL EQUIPMENT set to keep, 5 specialties, minimum 50 dives.

What could HE gain from this? I will ask him too but i want some more opinions. Is there anything hidden here? The equipment alone cots much...

What is his benefit?

His website: Scuba Diving Internship Padi Dive Instructor Courses Cyprus

Regards,
Minas

I wonder if Greece + bad economy = sold certifications....

Let's make sure we are talking about the same thing. His talking about the Master Diver internship, not the Divemaster. The difference is huge. DM certification costs a ton more than a MD certification. DM is a professional certification; MD is not. I have never heard of a MD internship before.

The internship costs just 1000 EUROS, about 1500 USD. The internship includes: Cetification from OW (i am OW currently) to MSD, certification fees.

I just want to make sure you realize that you are really talking about 2 certifications: AOW and Rescue, which should take a week or so. MSD is just something you apply for if you get 5 specialties.

Still, the price looks suspiciously good. I would really ask about how much work will be expected of you. DMs usually put up with an unpaid internship because of the hope of employment as a DM. There is no employment possibility as a MSD.

When something sounds too good to be true...

1000 Euro for OW, AOW, Res and MSD, 2 months shared accom, a complete set of equipment, minimum 50 dives.... I can't imagine the overheads involved in that- especially if a boat is used.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom