Question about diving internships

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, a correction to some of the earlier responses.... It's a MSD (Master Scuba Diver) internship, not a DM (Divemaster) internship... so there's no pro fees, expensive crewpack etc.

From what I know (have visited Cyprus a few times during my military service and dived there regularly during those times), Easy Divers has a good reputation as an operator... so I doubt this is a scam of any kind.

Some possible explanations:

Kit Deal - Could be old stock, that they're trying to get rid of.

Unlimited Diving - If the boat is going out anyway, then it doesn't cost extra (just a tank fill) to stick an intern onto the group.

Courses - 5 Specialties, can easily be run at low cost - possibly as further training/experience for newly qualified instructors and/or for the benefit of developing the dive center's overall status with PADI (i.e. 5* status requirements). MSDT instructor interns will want the opportunity to teach specialties - could even be paying for that chance, if on an internship of their own. If instructors are on-hand, salaried anyway, then the only cost is the manual/PIC. That's a small chunk of the internship cost.

Accommodation - Very little cost if the center has dedicated/available rooms for interns. Likely to be 'no-frills' - basic lodging rather than 'hotel'.

Cyprus has low seasons - so internships like this have benefits in providing consistent student flow/workload throughout the year. A busy dive shop is a good dive shop - there are business advantages to keeping a center active, when it would otherwise be quiet.

Being based in Protaras, it isn't the 'busiest' area for scuba diving (unlike Larnaca, Limasol and Paphos)... so there's probably a lot more competition for students. That'd reflect in better prices and special deals like these.

Overall, looks like a very good deal for training and equipment...

---------- Post Merged at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:24 PM ----------

I came across a website of a local diving centre. I noticed that they also offer diving internships. For me, who i am under 18 years old, exists the master scuba diver internship.

I contacted him but forgot to ask: Why would he do this?

The internship costs just 1000 EUROS, about 1500 USD. The internship includes: Cetification from OW (i am OW currently) to MSD, certification fees, manuals, ACCOMMODATION for 1 month, FULL EQUIPMENT set to keep, 5 specialties, minimum 50 dives.

What could HE gain from this? I will ask him too but i want some more opinions. Is there anything hidden here? The equipment alone cots much...

What is his benefit?

His website: Scuba Diving Internship Padi Dive Instructor Courses Cyprus

Regards,
Minas

Hi Minas,

When you came to my shop you did not mention that you wanted accommodation has you live here in Cyprus. Because you wanted equipment and the you told me you could NOT AFFORD the package listed below(€3500):

ALL COURSES - Open Water, Advanced O/W, Padi EFR (Medic/CPR) and Rescue Diver Courses.
FULL set of scuba diving equipment to keep - complete set. (List of equipment provided).
5 Specialties of your choice, including Nitrox Diver Course (Sorry but we have no Ice diving here in Cyprus)
Free accommodation for 2 months (Apartment style - shared self contained).
ALL Manuals, Slates up to your Master Scuba Diver rating.
If you have your own professional equipment then this could reduce the cost.
ALL Fees to PADI up to Rescue. (MSD is an application)
Minimum of 50 dives (Un-limited diving offered). Guarantee's you the adventure of a life time.

We agreed if you remember that you was just coming for the courses ONLY and was not of AGE to take any Professional Courses. You was going to attend the diving in small section has you had to work also in the evening. all the information was on the sheet of paper i gave you?

I am sorry if you got the wrong end of the stick, but i did tell exactly what was evolved and the costs.

I am happy to discuss this with you again to clarify any question you have and to not get any crossed wires
03.gif

Regards,

Easy Divers Cyprus

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom