Question about Instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rustyscubatool:
Ok, big guy. So just WHEN are you going to actually DO something about diving? Lotsa posts, but not a lot of action.
Uh, he's in the Florida forum looking for an Instrutor.

I believe you don't intend to be aggressive. It's just a natural character trait you and I share. I only hope mine doesn't show as much as your's. :D

I am relieved that your fiance has backed out on the Quickie Training. Many beter-divers-than-me have given you reasons to not do it yourself, but you go ahead. Then, sing up for AOW, and get some dive in while you're waiting for that class to start.

If she wants to certify after y'all move to Canyon, Texas, let me suggest Scuba Training Center in Amarillo. Good folks, good trainers, and that's where I get my Regs serviced. Y'all can go to Balmorhea where she can certify in San Solomans Springs State Park's cozy 72F clear water, and you can be bored to tears in a 20 foot deep pond with minnows. But don't push her. Hollar at me and we'll go to Santa Rosa NM to practice.

I anticipate that you'll be a good diver in time. You just have a know-it-all knack for pissing people off. :grin

Iruka:
By the way, how does someone without a diving certification manage to get in 200+ posts?? I'm impressed :)
I think I am qualified to say that post counts mean nothing other than the member likes to talk a lot. :satisfied

I plan on taking a class as soon as possible given logistic (location) and financial issues (I have to come up with the money).

Thanks for the advice everyone....If we go to Canyon, we'll look you up Don.

I plan on.... when I can..... If it....

Come on, man. A few weeks ago you were busting out at the seems to take a class, then you weren;t, then you were, then - - - -

Can you set a firm date for us, so we can relieve some of the tension?

Nothing in life is certain....the opportunity that would have allowed me to take the classes in a rapid and definite fashion has not panned out (basically the job fell through in the Virgin Islands- Which I am kind of glad of because of the severity of the hurricanes this year). Sh-t happens, things change, and plans to do my OW class again are put to the back burner in the interest of keeping a roof over our heads. I have to work (like most people) and feeding, clothing, and housing Jennifer, myself and our pet duck is my primary set of responsibilities...

That is the reason for all the probing and questions about where and when and how much it's gonna cost to take my class. I don't have the luxury of having 50 million friggin' dive shops around. There's only one within a hour of me and maybe 3 more about an 1 1/2 hrs away. That's why my plans are fluid and about as hard to nail down as Jello is to nail to a wall. I promise you all that you will be the first ones to know (other than my fiancee) when and where I will be taking this course. I don't mean to frustrate anyone and I really appreciate the help I have been getting from most people. Thank you so very much for being supportive. It's nice to know there are still good people out there :wink:

Ummmm....hope my "200 posts" comment wasn't taken as criticism, as it wasn't meant to be. I just found it interesting that an uncertified person would have hung around this message board long enough to get that many posts. With the name "medic diver" I thought maybe I thought maybe you dove "professionally" in some capacity, like a firefighter or whatever, but wanted to get OW certified for recreational purposes....or someone who'd been diving forever, but just had not bothered to get certified. In any case, I didn't mean to cause any trouble!!

Iruka:
Ummmm....hope my "200 posts" comment wasn't taken as criticism, as it wasn't meant to be. I just found it interesting that an uncertified person would have hung around this message board long enough to get that many posts. With the name "medic diver" I thought maybe I thought maybe you dove "professionally" in some capacity, like a firefighter or whatever, but wanted to get OW certified for recreational purposes....or someone who'd been diving forever, but just had not bothered to get certified. In any case, I didn't mean to cause any trouble!!
No worries, mate.

Hey, have you registered for the Instructors private forum? I'll send you a PM

There are lots of dive shops in the northern half of Indiana. There are also alot of independant instructors.

A couple hours on the phone, some cash and a little driving and you could be certified in a few days.

You're not getting it done because you want it fast, close and cheap. Be a little more flexible and you'll be diving in no time.

Iruka, no harm, no foul....I don't harbor grudges over simple questions as long as there is no hate or sarcasm with it. I have not been a diver in any sense (other than the class back in 2000) but I am involved with our fire department's newly formed water rescue team (once they go under the water they're out of our jurisdiction :wink: )

Mike, as far as the Northern Indiana idea goes, there is a major disadvantage to that: THE WATER UP THERE IS COLD! That's why I am looking at the idea of going to Florida- warm, clear water. I don't plan on diving around Indiana much mainly because no one has pointed out any interesting places to dive up here- yeah, there are a lot of places with cars and buses dumped into the water, but that's not worth my time or risk, or even worth just getting really cold.

medic_diver45:
Mike, as far as the Northern Indiana idea goes, there is a major disadvantage to that: THE WATER UP THERE IS COLD! That's why I am looking at the idea of going to Florida- warm, clear water. I don't plan on diving around Indiana much mainly because no one has pointed out any interesting places to dive up here- yeah, there are a lot of places with cars and buses dumped into the water, but that's not worth my time or risk, or even worth just getting really cold.

Nothing wrong with going to Florida but I like diving around here.

I prefer to watch fresh water fish and we have some dandies! Ever see a 7 ft long spoon billed sturgen?

How about huge schools of monster trout?

or watching bluegills try to eat bass fry while the daddy bass chases them away and all the while the catfish are trying to sneak up on the bluegil nests.

or having some of the worlds largest bass follow you around on a night dive using your light to hunt by. you can use your light like a laser gun. you point it at a little fish and the big fish darts at it and gobbles it up.

It's also kind of cool to scan the dark with your light only to spot a northern pike as big as a log hanging there watching you.

Topical reefs are ok but don't kid yourself into thinking there isn't anything to see in fresh water.

Oh...and then there's all the wrecks we have in the great lake that have been sitting on the bottom for over a hundred years and look about like they did the day they sunk.

spiderman:
I don't agree that speed means a lack of quality.

Many don't agree. You're in good company.

spiderman:
I know many instructors that can teach you to dive very well without having to wait several days between class periods.

True. OTOH, you'll soon forget everything you learned. When we learn something new, it is stored in our short term memory. If we wait a few days, then repeat it, it will be transfered to long term memory.

spiderman:
If you get with a good private instructor he/she can evaluate if you truly qualify for your C-card. A bad instructor will whip you thru everything fast and not care how much your learn.

The bad instructor will do a weekend class, the good instructor will insist on more time.

medic_diver45:
I think Walter is mistakenly assuming that the length of training equates to approximate value of the training.

Actually, I was assuming I could draw some conclusions from 18 years of experience teaching diving, during which time I've observed my students and the students of many other instructors.

medic_diver45:
That is akin to saying that someone who completes a bachelor degree in 4 years (or 5) is better trained than someone who does it in 3 years.

Your analogy is flawed. There's a great deal of difference between 3 years and a weekend with regard to migration of knowledge from short term to long term memory.

medic_diver45:
Walter, I hope you harbor no hard feelings towards me....I don't mean to be rude to you and if I offended you you have my sincerest apologies.

You were not rude, there's no need of an apology. Certainly no hard feelings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom