Question about Jet Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My shoe size is 9 1/2 and I wear an X-Large jet fin.

Size Large alone is too small, for wetsuit booties or for drysuit boots.

You can always adjust the strap, if you feel the fin is large.

If the fin is small, you cannot do anything about it.

hm.......
i cant seemed to understand why people still use jet fins, i mean, i tried them, they were hvy and strenuous to ur legs, and i heard that they tend to sink if u lost them in violent surges, so y?

I'm in the process of replacing my Quattro's with Turtles (Jet fin clone.)

I use them because they're stiff and heavy. They don't silt out like splits will, you can kick backwards in them, which you can't do with soft fins or split fins, they're great for frog-kicking, and in the event I NEED to power something up or out, there's not a better fin on earth.

DementialFaith once bubbled...
hm.......
i cant seemed to understand why people still use jet fins, i mean, i tried them, they were hvy and strenuous to ur legs, and i heard that they tend to sink if u lost them in violent surges, so y?

Answer:

A good, really good diver is not going to fin much underwater. Therefore those long almost-freediver fins that most stores sell are not necessary. They might help you on the surface swimming against a current, but who wants to plan on that happening?

For virtually all underwater applications, the good old ScubaPro jet fins (not split) or the now-popular and similar Turtle fins are the best fins for sculling with your feet, swimming backwards, controlling your attitude underwater, and everything else you would ever need to do.

The less you kick with your fins underwater, the more bottom time your tank(s) will give you. If you do not kick at all, then you will maximize your bottom time. If you do not kick at all, why would you need long fins? Since you do not need long fins, jetfins and/or turtle fins are the best. Still.

That is odd I found the jet fins better to monivor and were ligher on my feet underwater than almost anything else. My only complant is that i couldn't get as much speed out of them as long fins. But my SAC rate is much better with the jet fins. I have the gray ones I think they may be a bit soft if I were to do it again I would get the stiffer ones. But for tooling around and through caves and stuff they are awesome. My girlfriend tried them and she is throughing out her long solid fins because these were so much better and easer.

pggeek once bubbled...
That is odd I found the jet fins better to monivor and were ligher on my feet underwater than almost anything else. My only complant is that i couldn't get as much speed out of them as long fins. But my SAC rate is much better with the jet fins. I have the gray ones I think they may be a bit soft if I were to do it again I would get the stiffer ones. But for tooling around and through caves and stuff they are awesome. My girlfriend tried them and she is throughing out her long solid fins because these were so much better and easer.

If you're talking about grey ones, you're talking about the Twin Jets, right? Those are split fins. The Jet fins people are talking about here are the old rubber fins, the non-split variety, and they are much stiffer than the Twin Jets.

Im a Us size 9 1/2 and I wear size XL jet fins. I couldnt even get my foot in the L. (high arch) Just for refrence.:)
Tekkie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom