Question after watching "Openwater" and "USS Indianapolis"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoonWrasse:
Those sharks were specially trained by the Imperial Japanese Navy.

ah....

i'm sorry, but my built-in B.S. detector is off the scale right now

:14:

H2Andy:
welll... more dangerous than what?

do you know how many people die around the world in a single day from car accidents?

i can bet you anything it's more than 61. and that's just a day. imagine
how many die in a year.

and yet, we get in our cars and drive to the dive site and don't think
about it twice.

Geez Andy...of all people I thought you would refer to the following site :)

http://www.onlinelawyersource.com/personal_injury/auto/statistics.html

Nearly 43,000 people died in car accidents in 2002, according to auto accident statistics available through the U.S. Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Paul in VT

MoonWrasse:
You do know that the CIA had listening devices shaped like tiger turds, which they deployed during the Vietnam war, don't you :D

well, yeah... helllo???

who does'nt know about the tiger turds?

:D

wonbok:
I recently happened to watch the movie "open water" and also a documentary on the USS Indianapolis. After watching these films, I began to wonder whether you become more vulnerable to sharks when you hover for a safety stop and/or when you wait for the boat on the surface. If you stay still for a longer period (say, longer than three minutes), is it then that you start to attract sharks? It was especially disconcerting to watch the ill-destined divers being attacked by sharks while floating on the surface, because we all have to stay on the surface (though for a much shorter period of time) before our boats pick us up.

Could somebody provide a reason to believe that we are much safer under normal circumstances?

When you worry about sharks go to the following site

http://www.unitedjustice.com/death-statistics.html

and then you can do you statistical calculation about all the other things that can get you :)

Paul in VT

going to Unexso to see sharks :)

H2Andy:
welll... more dangerous than what?

do you know how many people die around the world in a single day from car accidents?
Just pointing out that if 13% of shark attacks really are on divers, then diving is more dangerous than swimming and surfing; contrary to what I had previously believed.

I didn't say anything about the absolute level of danger. Perceptions and reality aren't always the same. Many consider scuba a dangerous adventure sport, but IIRC, scuba fatalities of US divers has been pretty consisently a bit below 100 per year, and declining even with the large increase of mostly PADI-trained divers.

Statistics can be presented in different ways to give different initial impressions.
Like the very often quoted comparison of driving vs. airline fatalities and how the airlines are 10 times more safer than driving. True on a per-mile basis, but on an hour vs hour basis, the risks are close to equal.

Most of those attacks on divers are while they are spearfishing, I cant say I feel too bad when somebody who attaches a speared fish to their waist gets bitten, thats seems like a violation of common sense.

H2Andy:
yeah, world-wide shark attack figures. they're incredibly low:

2004 -- 61 attacks
2003 -- 57 attacks
2002 -- 63 attacks
2001 -- 68 attacks
2000 -- 78 attacks

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statistics/2004attacksummary.htm

shark attacks just don't happen that often. think of all the thousands of
divers getting into the water every year, and you'll see taht 61 attacks
per year is just negligible.

of course, if you see a tiger or a great white cruising by, i'd get back
to the boat

:wink:
In the most recent National Safety Council study, Odd Of Dying, 76 people died in the US from "Contact with venomous animals and plants" - mostly from bees, 118 from "Animal rider or occupant of animal-drawn vehicle," over 16,000 from falls - 646 from "Fall on same level from slipping, tripping, and stumbling" and you want to afraid of a fish?
:lol:​

DandyDon:
In the most recent National Safety Council study, Odd Of Dying, 76 people died in the US from "Contact with venomous animals and plants" - mostly from bees, 118 from "Animal rider or occupant of animal-drawn vehicle," over 16,000 from falls - 646 from "Fall on same level from slipping, tripping, and stumbling" and you want to afraid of a fish?
:lol:​
Killer bees...best wear your wetsuit while walking around to protect yourself :crossbone

I'm glad you brought this up - you see I was smug in the fact that diving was safe until I watched "Creature from the Black Lagoon."

Now I just can't make myself dive Vortex Spring.

While it is true that not necessarily the CIA (they got a lot of credit for other people's work) but the 21st Special Operations Squadron used listing devices such as Tiger Scat, bushes, Spirit Huts, and plain old rocks to listen to, estimate weight and speed from seismics, and even smell the cargo of convoys, none could detect the impending approach of the Gill Man.

wonbok:
I recently happened to watch the movie "open water" and also a documentary on the USS Indianapolis. Could somebody provide a reason to believe that we are much safer under normal circumstances?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom