Question for all who have purchased from Leisure Pro

Were you aware that the items from LP may not come with manufactuer warranty?

• Yes, I knew they did not have factory warranty.

Votes: 104 65.4%
  • No, I thought they came with factory warranty.

Votes: 17 10.7%
  • I didn't care about the warranty.

Votes: 38 23.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awap....

yeah... I've seen LDS's do this before and heard about it in OW classes.

I don't think all do it though. I never heard mention of "grey market" sales in my OW class for example.

But those are standard LDS "scare tactics". Usually more aligned with trying to scare the customer not to go anywhere else but their shop to buy stuff or "they'll die".

I think you'll find that most people who post here frequently and read threads about LP will know that most items there don't come with the manufacturer warranty but I bet that most new divers or people who don't frequent scuba forms don't know that LP doesn't offer manufacturer warranties on a lot of their items.)

I dont' have a problem with their store warranty. However I think they should disclose on their site which items are "grey market" and which aren't and don't come with the manufacturer warranty.

As I responded to you in another thread ......if the warranty is SO important, wouldn't any sane person be checking the warranty before they buy?

If the customer is comfortable with the LP guarantee that we will provide warranty service that is at least identical - if not superior - to that provided by the manufacturer or via the LDS, then he or she will purchase from LeisurePro.

If not, they won't.........:coffee:

I buy from the big 3 a lot; LP, Scuba.com and Scuba toys. My biggest beef is with Scuba.com who does not seem to stock anything they sell and has no indication of stocking the web stite. Almost every thing I order ends there ends up taking 2 or 3 weeks to get here. Get a bit upset when I have paided for 3 day shipping. I tend to buy from LP just because of that. LP is great on the perfect fit return, Have returned a number of items with them picking up the return shipping, never an issue.

The warranty thing a non issue. I think the LP warranty is a plus. I think I would have just as much or more hassle with the warranty service with most of local dive shops, esp if I had not bought it at that given one I was trying to gert service from. The local dive shops are also really slow to get things done, as are the many of the manufacturers if you send your stuff in. The scuba industry needs to wake up and smell the future.

I buy from the big 3 a lot; LP, Scuba.com and Scuba toys. My biggest beef is with Scuba.com who does not seem to stock anything they sell and has no indication of stocking the web stite. Almost every thing I order ends there ends up taking 2 or 3 weeks to get here. .

heh.... that's just the Scuba.com business model.

They don't stock hardly anything. Then when orders come in, they place big weekly orders with the manufacturers distributors, who are within a few hours drive from their location.

it keeps costs down and profits up. good plan for them.

It just sucks for the consumer when there is a delay in getting certain products from the distributor in a timely manner. (back orders, etc). Sometimes they have to wait a few weeks.

I do mention on line dealers inclucing so called grey market in my classes. I prefer them to buy from local sources but as an independent don;t care one way or the other. Fortunately at least one shop I deal with will try their best to match on line prices. I have bought from LP, scubatoys, Dive Rite Express, Dive Right In, and Dive Sports. All of these are on line shops for me. I really don't care about warranties at this point as I service my own gear. When it comes time to buy a new computer I will check local first. The thing is that as an instructor I usually get my stuff at key man or cost plus shipping. I go on line for the stuff the locals don't carry or when there's a really good deal. Just bought a 6 cuft bottle from Dive Right In. No one here could come close to the 51.00 price including shipping with the coupon. If LP puts Oceanic non DVT regs on sale again like when they had the cdx5 with alpha 8 for 149 bucks I'll buy a couple of em! Kicking myself for not doing it before. As to Aqualung/Suunto and Scuba Pro I'll buy them only when the price is good and I'm sure I can get kits myself. Otherwise no way I'll pay retail for their stuff. It;s no better than any other major and the way they treat their dealers sucks.

I'll bet you are wrong. It's pretty hard to even find an OW course sponsored by an LDS that does not take some of that classroom time to market the shop's wares and warn of the evils on online buying.

I don't do this in my OW classes. I show students the gear they'll be using and answer questions about how different stuff works, but I'm not a salesperson and the LDS won't let me anywhere near the cash register. Students generally like to check out the gear on their own and ask a ton of questions, so I don't feel like we're forcing them into a sales pitch. Besides, they're not going to rely on rental gear indefinitely.

As for the evils of online buying, my position is that LDSs have to start viewing online retailers as any other competitor. There's a reason why students came to our LDS instead of the one down the street, and it's our job to retain them. The warranty is a fairly big issue for some gear, notably regulators that require annual maintenance for the warranty to remain valid. While it may seem self serving to point this out to OW students, I think it would be irresponsible not to at least caution them to investigate the warranty if they choose to shop online.

As for LP, they're well known for being grey market resellers. For cheap gadgets this isn't an issue if you don't care about the warranty anyway, but if it's gear that your life depends on, it's advisable to do some research:

Leisure Pro is NOT an authorized Aqua Lung dealer
ScubaPro/Uwatec Gray Market Letter
Dry Suit, Regulator, BCD, Dive Lights, Rebreather: Dive Rite Dealers

I have had very good experiences with LP. They went to bat for me when I purchased the wrong flash accessory for my camera and replaced a few items that were defective. I have nothing but good to say about them.
As for the "Grey Market" comment, I've learned my lesson the hard way. See my post: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...lyzers/302724-beware-grey-market-dealers.html
I will always buy my most critical products directly from my LDS from now on.

The question itself is misleading. It leads you do beleive that none of the gear purchased from LP has factory warrantys. This is simple not the case. LP is a manufacturer's authorized dealer for many of the products they sell. When purchasing new, those products come with a full manufacturer's warranty.
On products they are not authorized to sell they discount the item and back up the sale themselves with a warranty that is equal in term to the manufacturers.
On used gear you must read their warranty terms like purchasing from any other dealer.
This isn't a store being deceptive in any way. They are up front about it.
The question needs an answer that shows that people understand that LP offers both warrantys (depending upon status and condition) and people are satisfied with that.

If the customer is comfortable with the LP guarantee that we will provide warranty service that is at least identical - if not superior - to that provided by the manufacturer or via the LDS, then he or she will purchase from LeisurePro.

Hi Helen.

Will LP do the free parts for life for ScubaPro? That was a consideration for me.

The question itself is misleading. It leads you do beleive that none of the gear purchased from LP has factory warrantys. This is simple not the case. LP is a manufacturer's authorized dealer for many of the products they sell. When purchasing new, those products come with a full manufacturer's warranty.
On products they are not authorized to sell they discount the item and back up the sale themselves with a warranty that is equal in term to the manufacturers.
On used gear you must read their warranty terms like purchasing from any other dealer.
This isn't a store being deceptive in any way. They are up front about it.
The question needs an answer that shows that people understand that LP offers both warrantys (depending upon status and condition) and people are satisfied with that.

That is true, but I think the OP is talking the "grey market" products.

If I can buy the "authorized" dealer products for the same price or less locally.
Why would I go to Jersey, LOL?

Let's face it. The big draw for LP is the initial price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom