Question on border crossing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greenedive once bubbled...
Do you have access to a list of GPS coordinates for wrecks in that area? The guy I dove with there said there were like 18 wrecks in the mouth of the river area there. The times I came out (5 hour drive) I just dove from shore, but I'd like to bring my boat so we can do some drift diving that isn't resticted to where you have to start and end up your dive. I was out on weekends, but if I bring my boat I'd like to come on a weekday(after Labor Day) so hopefully the boat traffic is thinned out some. Those big freighters sure are LOUD when they go over......swear I saw some I saw on the St. Lawrence the week before. <GD>

GreenDive here is a link http://www.neptunescove.org/cgi-bin/wrecks.pl?area=SWLH
and if you click on my www there is some decent info on some of the wrecks right there in lake Huron U.S side that you access by boat

avalanchediver I have heard the American side is more dangerous to dive because the current is even faster. I have heard a diver I know say he was on the Tremble once and the current was so strong that he had to push him self off the wreck and work his way around it because the current was holding him against it. I have also heard that the Fontana and Martin are very advanced dives because of the current where they are at

Rooster and avalanchediver,
Thanks for the info!!! Just got back from a trip this weekend (not diving :( ) and just saw your messages. I first heard of diving in Port Huron/Sarnia from an article by Tom Morrissey (I believe) in the old Scuba Times magazine before they sold out. He dove the Port Huron side if I recall, sounded like a combination of Niagara River's current with the St Lawrence's Wrecks....I just had to go see.:) Definitely hoping to get back out there this fall. I was on the Port Huron side and looked over the edge, but without anyone to tell me where it was safe to giant stride off, I wasn't about to take the plunge. Went over to the other side and Sean Croxford and his wife and sister were suiting up and invited me to join them. A great beginning to some fantastic diving. Thanks so much for the info and the website....maybe sometime I'll see you guys out there. GD

Rooster1 once bubbled...
avalanchediver I have heard the American side is more dangerous to dive because the current is even faster. I have heard a diver I know say he was on the Tremble once and the current was so strong that he had to push him self off the wreck and work his way around it because the current was holding him against it. I have also heard that the Fontana and Martin are very advanced dives because of the current where they are at

Redwingnut,

The current rips! It is one of those things you just have to learn to deal with. Don't just jump in and try to dive the wrecks if you don't a lot of 6+ mile per hour current experience. The Tremble is more manageable the the Martin or Fontana. I have never tried to dive the Fontana. I hear it is better done by boat but I know a few divers who can hit from shore. Both the Martin and Fontana are North of the Blue Water Bridge where there is maximun current.

If you dive any of them, work up to them in steps. Go a little further every dive until you hit your destination. I feel very comfortable in some places in the river, but get nervous in others. If I know exactly where I am and what is around me I am much more confident with the current.
Good luck,

Eric P.

avalanchediver once bubbled...

Redwingnut,

The current rips! It is one of those things you just have to learn to deal with. Don't just jump in and try to dive the wrecks if you don't a lot of 6+ mile per hour current experience. The Tremble is more manageable the the Martin or Fontana. I have never tried to dive the Fontana. I hear it is better done by boat but I know a few divers who can hit from shore. Both the Martin and Fontana are North of the Blue Water Bridge where there is maximun current.

If you dive any of them, work up to them in steps. Go a little further every dive until you hit your destination. I feel very comfortable in some places in the river, but get nervous in others. If I know exactly where I am and what is around me I am much more confident with the current.
Good luck,

Eric P.

I do have confidence in some parts of the River but definately not all parts ( still learning the river). I myself only like to do a little at a time. I know what its like to struggle and fight that current trying to get shallow where you can exit while your eyes glare at your spg hoping the needle doesnt drop as fast as the gas needle on my F150 as I'm barrelling through the 94 east to Port Huron from Detroit. hehehehe:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom