Question on dive watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably one of the most common dive watches is still the Seiko SKX007. worn&wound | Seiko SKX007 Review - worn&wound .

Can be found under $200 and even more likely around $150. They are a fully mechanical, Seiko built house movement with autowinding. They can last for decades, keep fairly good time (they are mechanical and are not chronometers) and are tough and 200M rated. And, they do not pretend to be a Rolex, Seiko has been making similar dive watches for decades and the SKX007 is the evolution of all of those. It is a 42.5MM case not including crown so big, but not hugely so and they wear well and look good.

A few of my dive watches, the ones I wore a lot over the years or wear a lot now, a few are missing as well but the SKX007 is in the middle with the SP nylon band and another classic Seiko Diver at about 4 o'clock, circa 1972, wore the heck out of it:

photo8_zps8f589b04.jpg

The best dive watch I have ever had is the Citizen at 12 o'clock. My wife bought it for me as a joke, it cost $50, never seen one like it before or after, EcoDrive, runs and runs, perfect time. I have had it now for 10 years and it has been on hundreds of dives and I wear it more than any watch, daily even.

Edit to add, the Timex Iron Man watches. I bought my first one when they first came out in the mid 80s to time my swimming laps and, well, I was deep into triathlons (sorta still am from time to time). They are cheap, tough and while I do not especially care for digital displays, they work and make a decent dive watch. if it floods, throw it away, get another. I was wearing one, no five summers ago when I went down and busted my femur bone badly. The watch was ground down to the point the glass should have fallen out. It is/was still going, I tossed it in a drawer somewhere. Battery might be gone now. Just got me another for casual wear and working out. Great disposable watch and usually you can get a few years out of them before they look too grody. Get the Classic I think it is at Walmart, under $40 and rated 200M.

N

Last edited:
I am kind of a "watch freak" and really own too many to count. I was certified back in the early 90's and just started diving again last year btw. I decided so much had changed (my last dive was in 97 until last year) that I would go back through open water certification with my son since he was interested. Over the years I have always worn dive watches because its always suited my taste and they are almost always more stylish than a plain old watch. The dive computers of today are great and I own a simple Oceanic Veo that works fine but I still wear my dive watch because I like having what I originally learned to rely on. The are some great affordable dive watches out there that don't break the bank, I currently use a citizen eco drive aqualand with a depth meter. Here are some of the ones to consider that I haven't seen mentioned in the previous threads.

Citizen eco drive divers (all are great) and the ones with the depth meters are really cool.

Deep Blue-the pro tac diver is around $200.00 and is available with many different colored dials.

Ocean 7, many different styles that are affordable

Luminox

Chase Drurer

Resco-these are more expensive but are made by a Navy Seal.

Sorry for the long rant, but I love dive watches!
-

I know that this is an old post but I figured that I might as do an update now that i have been certified and diving for a year now. I bought a watch style dive computer. It also has a gauge mode so it will not run decompression calculations. its rated for 400ft so if i ever get into technical diving i can use it as a backup bottom timer and buy another computer as my primary. I have quickly come to HATE consoles and dive with a single brass gauge.

Another vote for the Ironman. During my Tech course, the instructor wanted us to have a primary computer and a dive timer as a backup. If the primary computer did not have a stopwatch, the instructor recommended the Ironman. My primary computer didn't have a stopwatch so I got the Ironman. It has been to 150' a few times and the stopwatch feature has been used regularly at depths of 50' and up. I also use it on a regular basis to time laps in the swimming pool. Two years later everything is running fine. I have not replaced the battery.

Wikipedia:
"Water Resistant 10 atm or 100 m" = "Suitable for recreational surfing, swimming, snorkeling, sailing and water sports."

No. That "m" is not meters, or if it is, it must be a surface swim :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom