Question on streamlining

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba-charters:
Look at the winning swimmers... They go to the point of shaving their body and head to reduce friction....

swimmers do that too??? I thought it was just me...:eyebrow:

I swam all four years of Highschool back in the "good ole days." I shaved down and even though I had a very tight hair cut wore a cap. I even put a little baby oil on.

I am not that streamlined when I dive as I have various equipment hanging off D-Rings.

However I mostly drift dive. When I am actually fin kicking I hug all this crap in close and find I move much easier than just letting my dingles dangle.

When I wreck dive I leave this crap on the boat and get everything pulled in tight. I know this Different Rig / Different dive is probably not DIR but I am not a DIR diver.

Streamlining is worth the effort to rig your stuff in.

Am I to understand that a tank moving horizontally through water creates more drag than one clipped to your chest D-ring?

Would depend on how much of an angle that one clipped to the chest D-ring is at.. If it's presenting a larger frontal area.. then it will probably have more resistance..

However if it were in true side-mount form.. where it is tucked into your armpit and the tank lies horizontal in the water.. then part of the frontal area on the tank is obscured by the the frontal area your arm is taking up, reducing your required effort a little..

Keep in mind weight too.. Newton's law butchered by me again.. Heavy things that are stopped want to stay put, heavy things that are moving want to keep moving in that same direction. It's a pain to start pulling heavy things through the water.. but its even more of a pain to climb back up on the boat and/or walk up the shore :wink:

water is a lot more than 30 times as dense as air.. I think it is around 800 times more dense..

Friction (drag) increases as a function of the velocity squared.. double the speed; 4 times the drag.

Being streamlined is important, but moving fast in any configuration will use up alot of energy.

Yes, I messed up the numbers. Thank you for the correction (and thanks to those of you who corrected me via PM :wink: ).

all4scuba05:
Am I to understand that a tank moving horizontally through water creates more drag than one clipped to your chest D-ring?

Absolutely. The one under your armpit rides in the slipstream created by your shoulder. The one on your back cuts its own swatch through the water. If you ever get the chance to try you, you'll understand. It's very noticeable.

The drag created by the legs being vertical isn't as bad as might be thought simply because the tanks are pushing aside some of the water for the legs to pass through. That said, the frog kick, when done properly, is very powerful, but allows a LONG push stroke with the fins and allows the diver to glide for a period of time. Thus it keeps the heart rate and respitory rate down.

It's like riding a bicycle versus jogging. When you jog, every footfall propels you a bit further, but with a bicycle, you can pedal and coast, pedal and coast...

It's a terrific stroke to use when dving. It also facilitates stopping in midwater, backing up, and turning around, all without changing leg position.

del_mo:
What I was trying to describe is the style used in cave diving. I'm not sure what I found more fascinating, seeing the Cenotes in Mexico, or watching the dive leaders. Poetry in motion. What made me ask the question was seeing the same techniques used during reef dives.

Matsya:
Why is streamlining so important? I can understand streamlining for say, car racing or flying where speed and fuel consumption are critical issues. But is it so crucial in diving? And if it is, then why?

I don't care about drag, I do it to enhance my dive experience. Part of the enjoyment of diving for me is to feel like I sprouted gills and that I am just swimming with the fishes. The more I feel like I am in some sort of constrictive space suit, the less enjoyable it is for me. So when I go down, I want the bare minimum that I feel comfortable with me.

When I see those pictures of people in dry suits and hoods and 17 tanks strapped to them forming a cage around them it makes me think why? Just as I am sure that there are tons of people that look at my diving choices and end up scratching their heads as well, which is fine. Diving is a personal thing.

Back
Top Bottom