Question on taking the DM Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hawkenph

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I understand u need 60 dives as one of the requirements for DM. I am over that. My question is. When taking the DM Course, how many more logged dives will I get because of testing and other requirements?
Thank you,
Kurt in Cebu

For PADI, the absolute minimum appears to be 8. Specifically: -
Mapping
Search & recovery
Deep
Discover Scuba – additional open water dive
Discover Local Diving
Open Water students in open water
Continuing Education students in open water
Certified Divers in open water

But if you are doing an internship type of DM program, the number of dives could be (and should be) substantially more.
Even barring that, it should be more than 8 dives. For example, I don't really see how the mapping project can be done well in only one dive.

Others would have to supply the answers for other agencies.

Hi,
Thank u. Sorry I forgot to add it was for PADI.

Hi,
Thank u. Sorry I forgot to add it was for PADI.

It very much depends on the program. If you go to a program with an internship, you should end up with quite a few dives. If you're going to a weekend warrior program, you'll get your 8 and like it.

For internships, check out the Philippines... Cheap living, and a great place to rack up the dives and gain lots of experience...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom