Question when using hoseless air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My daughter and I have Atom 2s and love em. So far we have about 50 dives on them. Not a problem. My daughter has lost signal once but only for a couple of seconds. I love the fact we can check each others air on our own wrist.

We are strictly recreational divers but have had NO problems whatsoever.

Never had a problem with an Oceanic/Aeris hoseless computer (Mine, son's, wife's). Used to dive with a compact spg as backup, but took it off. I still take a compact spg on trips as a backup, but have never needed it yet.

Thanks, Howard. For pretty much all recreational diving, I really like the thought of what the ATOM does. I love my GEO but would love to have the air pressure gauge on there. I've heard enough positive comments on it that I am willing to trust it. I guess from my gauge console, the only thing I'd have missing is the compass. Do you use something like the Suunto, which clips to the BC? And what computer do you have?

I've seen the announcements of the ATOM 3.0. From the images I've seen, I prefer the aesthetics of the 2.0. I wonder if there will be anything in it that would make it better than the 2.0 for my purposes. I figure I could also get a good deal on a 2.0 once the 3.0 is announced.

I have the Atom 2.0 and I have an OC1. I like them both a lot. I wore the OC1 as my wrist watch for several months as well...

With leather?
You'll love it. It's a way of life.

Thanks for the replies.

knowone: clip what you your chest?

My hose, with a rubber cover to protect the instrument.

I have an Oceanic GEO but have been thinking of getting an ATOM for the integrated hoseless air. For those who have this type of setup, do you still keep your console with depth/air/compass connected for backup?

Thanks.

No. No backup. If the computer were to fail to read the tank transmitter then I'd simply terminate the dive and ascend.

Why waste good money on a hoseless AI computer and then put a hosed SPG on your rig anyway? Might as well save the money and stick with SPG and wrist computer or hosed AI computer.

No. No backup. If the computer were to fail to read the tank transmitter then I'd simply terminate the dive and ascend.

Why waste good money on a hoseless AI computer and then put a hosed SPG on your rig anyway? Might as well save the money and stick with SPG and wrist computer or hosed AI computer.

Only problem with that is if you happen to be someplace remote, like say the Great Barrier Reef, and it happens. Then not having a backup sort of sucks, as it is not one dive you will miss.

I have an SPG for a backup... as I have had that happen twice since going wireless.

While the last couple hundred dives have been problem free, I carry a backup to everything, so don't expect to stop.

Only problem with that is if you happen to be someplace remote, like say the Great Barrier Reef, and it happens. Then not having a backup sort of sucks, as it is not one dive you will miss.

I have an SPG for a backup... as I have had that happen twice since going wireless.

While the last couple hundred dives have been problem free, I carry a backup to everything, so don't expect to stop.

I have an SPG for backup sitting in my bag, but it's not hooked up on my regulator. If my AI computer were to conk out then I'll terminate the dive, get back on the boat or dive site, install my SPG and then keep on going.

Others may do what they wish but I am not going to buy a piece of equipment that helps get rid of a hose and then go mount the hose back on anyway.

I use an UWATEC Smart TEC without back-up SPG. Like others have said, if my main goal wasn't getting rid of the HP hose, I would have got the Smart Com console and saved some money. Although, I am thinking about screwing in a small pony bottle gauge into the additional HP port on my MK25. That way I can check the pressure on a tank without having to turn on my computer.

I use an UWATEC Smart TEC without back-up SPG. Like others have said, if my main goal wasn't getting rid of the HP hose, I would have got the Smart Com console and saved some money. Although, I am thinking about screwing in a small pony bottle gauge into the additional HP port on my MK25. That way I can check the pressure on a tank without having to turn on my computer.

Get yourself a pressure checker gauge so that you don't have to mess with your regulator rig, or to take it out just for checking tank pressure.

XS Scuba Tank Pressure Checker AC360 with reviews at scuba.com

If you continue to use an SPG with a wireless transmitter, what is the point since checking an SPG is about as quick as checking a wrist dive computer? Redundancy? Why not put an SPG attached to a hose in your save a dive just in case you have a failure and leave it off the reg?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom