Question when using hoseless air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you continue to use an SPG with a wireless transmitter, what is the point since checking an SPG is about as quick as checking a wrist dive computer? Redundancy? Why not put an SPG attached to a hose in your save a dive just in case you have a failure and leave it off the reg?

Reasonable question to ask.

First off, there is a difference between doing a couple hundred dives with one and doing a thousand.

I dive with a backup computer also (ok, is a wristwatch one, but still a backup). And yes, I could just have one in my save a dive kit...except at some locations, your save a dive kit will not be on the boat (Heron island comes to mind), so you will miss the whole trip (ok, "only" two dives, but two expensive dives).

I use an integrated computer to keep track of gas used during a dive and for multigas dives. If you don't go wireless, then you will not have any backup (or a mess of hoses if you try).

Understand the desire to have a simple setup and if you don't care if you miss dives, that would be reasonable.

I have a pony spg and transmitter on my deco bottle, and an spg with a transmitter on my main...but where and how you dive is not the same for everyone.

If a diver uses a standard brass and glass SPG and a dive computer, aren't they at the same risk or in those situations or do they run with two SPGs? I never considered running with two SPGs, but I do keep an extra gauge and hose in my save a dive kit. What is the fail rate of an xmitter compared to a brass and glass?

I was thinking of switching just to streamline but if I still "need" an SPG doesn't make much sense given that I dive strictly recreational.

If a diver uses a standard brass and glass SPG and a dive computer, aren't they at the same risk or in those situations or do they run with two SPGs?

If I understand your question correctly, yes. I have noticed before that while many say one should have a backup spg when using a hoseless computer, few people advocate carrying two SPGs.

The explanation for this is usually the claimed unreliability of the computer vs. the supposed bulletproof nature of the SPG. Yet, I have had an SPG fail and been present on two occasions when HP hoses have burst (rendering the SPG useless and of course, causing a loss of air) and have seen plenty of reports of failed SPGs. I have yet to experience a significant computer failure, although I know they happen.

The decision to carry a redundant computer or SPG is a personal one. Each of us should do what makes us feel good. I dive with a backup computer, but it isn't AI. I keep a backup SPG in my gear, but don't take it on the boat. Under some circumstances, I might change this. In the meantime, I suppose I could lose part of a dive day due to a computer failure, but the same could also happen to anyone diving a single SPG.

Back
Top Bottom