Questions about the Cayman Aggressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to Little Cayman almost 15 yrs ago. I do recall hearing jealous comments about the aggressor hogging the best dive sites. Both from crew and other divers. A boat can move from 1 site to another, but from a distance look like it is on the same site.

I use the word jealous because that's what it was. The best sites, ease of diving, greater qty of dives, but also more relaxing, . I always prefer liveaboards.

Not easy to move such a big boat around. In any case, it is certainly possible for a day boat to moor at the next site over and for divers to swim across at the drop off or deeper.

Staying at LCBR or Southern Cross for a week is plenty relaxing as well, and easy to fit in 16-18 dives including a few night dives. I'm totally relaxed as soon as the plane leaves Grand Cayman. By the end of a week, you will have dived most of the best sites at LC and not had to put up with what can be a rough crossing to and from GC.

There are pros and cons to both land based and live aboard. Not sure jealous is the correct descriptor.

I personally am not interested in wasting a day or two diving Grand Cayman sites like Kittewake and Stingray City from a Live aboard. I'd rather be based on LC the entire time.

Live aboards make more sense to me at locations that are not easily reachable by day boat, where land accommodation is sketchy or where you want to dive a bunch of different areas, e.g. Belize Atolls.

I personally am not interested in wasting a day or two diving Grand Cayman sites like Kittewake and Stingray City from a Live aboard. I'd rather be based on LC the entire time.

That's why the Caymans is probably the only destination I wouldn't do a liveaboard. Not that there is anything wrong with the Cayman Aggressor, it's just without a doubt the best diving in the Caymans is found at BBW and like you, I'd rather be there the entire time.

Jealous was the correct descriptor for the divers since they spoke about wanting to be on the Aggressor for a return trip.

To each his own on land vs liveaboard.

I find liveaboards more relaxing because of the ease of diving, boat moves to the sites while we are eating, sleeping or lounging, being on the ocean. I can be lazy and still get in 25 dives. Land based that much diving would feel more tiring for me. I enjoyed the variety of diving GC, LC and CB. The Tibbetts on CB, Devils Grotto, tarpon,big free swimming green moray eels on GC and I still liked Stingray City even though it was my 3rd time.

Land based has it's advantages like you mention. It's good to have choices.

I find liveaboards more relaxing because of the ease of diving, boat moves to the sites while we are eating, sleeping or lounging, being on the ocean. I can be lazy and still get in 25 dives.

After many years of diving I finally did my first liveaboard like 6 years ago and I was hooked! All else being equal, I'd rather be on a boat as well. Since I started I've done the Aquacat, NAI'A, Turks & Caicos Explorer, Rocio Del Mar, Okeanos Aggressor, and the Sea Hunter. This year it's the Caribbean Explorer II, next year it's the Rocio Del Mar twice, and in 2018 it's the Belize Aggressor IV (Sun Dancer). May work in the Maldives for later this year if I can swing it.

Sea of Cortez and Cocos is too cold for my wife.

What did you think about the Nai'a ?

Loved the NAI'A! Overall nicest LB I have been on. Everything about it is 1st class. Crew, food, room, diving were all top notch!

Sea of Cortez in August and September will have water temps in the 80's. Especially the September trip.

Thanks. Took a quick look at Rocio Del Mar. I always associated the Solmar and Sorcorro with the Sea of Cortez. Didn't realize there is a northern itinerary offering warmer temps.

I am actually tired of Caribbean diving, but it's convenient for 1 week trips. Will consider Rocio Del Mar for my next trip.

We have done several Aggressor liveaboard cruises over the years and we don’t have any complaints. The last Aggressor trip we did was in 2013 on the T&C Aggressor and it was terrific. We did the Cayman Aggressor trip in 2008 and it was a fantastic experience. But 2008 was a long time ago and I know that the Cayman Aggressor has gotten a new Captain since then - so things may have changed.

I realize that the Cayman Aggressor is not the typical liveaboard location because most of the dive sites are accessible to land-based operations. I think that we decided to do that trip because they were offering a very attractive special price, but I’m glad that we did. We had the chance to do a lot of dives (4 to 5 per day) and we were able to dive the best sites off of all 3 of the Cayman Islands. But we spent most of our time diving off of Little Cayman and I recognize that if the weather had been bad, and they were unable to make the trip to the sister islands, it might not have been such a great trip.

The reason that I bring all this up is because we recently stayed and dived with a land-based operation on Little Cayman, it was a great trip but we heard a lot of negative comments about the Aggressor from the divemasters on our boat. I mostly dismissed the comments but they have been nagging at me ever since, in case we would like to repeat the CA liveaboard trip or recommend it to someone else. Hopefully someone that has been on the Cayman Aggressor more recently can share their experiences and help to sort the truth from the myth.

Most of the negative divemaster comments were rather minor and spiteful, like referring to the Aggressor as that “Big ugly boat over there!” but when one of the divers on our boat asked about the comments, the divemaster went into a rant against the Cayman Aggressor.

He said that they “always grab the best sites” and that they “sit on one site all day and never move the boat” and that they “never support the local environmental protection efforts on LC like the Lionfish hunt (but they do support efforts on Grand Cayman) even though they spend most of their time off of Little Cayman” and that they “chum for sharks”.

I was surprised by these comments, mostly because I think that it was rather unprofessional to make negative comments about a colleague/competitor to your customers – but I may be old fashioned in this thinking. But another guest at the hotel that was diving on a different boat told us that he had heard similar comments against the Aggressor – so what’s the deal?

Here are my take on the anti-Aggressor comments:

Regarding “always grab the best sites” that’s probably true but that is the reason that you take a liveaboard trip – to get the best sites. The Aggressor is out on the reefs all the time, and doesn’t need to travel back and forth to the hotel and dive shop, so they have first pick on the best sites – but there are a lot of great dive sites in the Caymans so I can’t imagine that it is big problem.

I don’t really believe “sit on a site all day and never move the boat” because the guests would get bored diving the same site over and over. I checked my log book and they moved the boat 2 times most days (and 3 times a few days) when we were on the CA, but it is a big boat and not easy to move. I feel sure that the Captain makes this decision based on weather and itinerary.

As far as “never support the local environmental protection efforts on LC like the Lionfish hunt but they do support them on GC even though they spend most of their time off of LC” that may be true. The Aggressor departs from Georgetown Harbor on Grand Cayman and they probably think of it as their home port. But they should support the environmental initiatives in the sister islands because they spend so much time there. However, I imagine that they pay a lot of money to operate in Caymanian waters and harbor in Georgetown, so maybe they think that is good enough. They should probably reach out to the other dive operators in the sister islands to make friends and join in supporting their environmental initiatives, if that is feasible.

But the “chum for sharks” comment was the one that really bothered me. I would not think kindly about such activities. But I checked the Aggressor web site and found this notice:

“Please note: All shark interactions are natural, passive and observational in style. The Aggressor Fleet does not actively feed sharks nor chum the waters.”

So obviously they do not “chum for sharks” but what is the basis of this rumor? Did they do it in the past and now they have stopped? We didn’t see any chumming going on when we were recently on the T&C Aggressor but there would be no need – there were sharks all over the place!

So I would love to hear from someone that has been on the Cayman Aggressor recently. What was your experience and how would you respond to these negative comments? Is it really the great trip that I fondly remember or have things changed in recent years? Thanks!

I was on the Cayman Aggressor in January and they did NOT chum for sharks. The weather was bad so we didn't make it to Little Cayman but the trip was great. The captain and crew are true professionals. One of their crew got injured during the night and had to be airlifted to Miami. The captain went with him. The cruise director is also a licensed captain so he took over while she was away. The only problem we encountered that day is that the morning coffee delivery service was late. I would recommend this boat over all others (except maybe the Red Sea Aggressor.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom