Questions about traveling to the Sea of Cortez?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

September is probably the best month of the year to see Whale sharks, actually in La Paz (not sure about Loreto on this) have been seeing whale sharks everyday for the last 18 months! we sent a boat out to look for them 4 days ago and found 3 medium size ones, probably they have'em also in Loreto since it's known that they migrate north and south inside the sea of cortez

Cantamar:
There is currently 3 liveaboards cruising the sea of cortez, Somar V (2200 dlls x 1 week) Nautilus Explorer (about the same) and the "Fiesta" which is the boat we operate, we are all doing pretty much the same tour visiting Espiritu Santo Island, The seamounts, Las Animas, etc, Our boat is not as fancy but is definetly the most affordable of all 3. Price for a week trip, 6 days diving is about $1600 dlls.
===================================
How large is your boat/how many passengers and do you have any photos ??

Thanks in advance,

'Slogger

The ship is 90' long, it has 13 double state rooms, 3 of them have private bathroom, it carries a max of 18 divers and you can find all the information regarding trips, costs, itinerary and photos at http://www.clubcantamar.com/english/liveaboard/index.html
We are currently trying to fill a trip for june to look for whale sharks, however we have weekly trips all the way thru end of October

We will be down from July 28th through August 4th. Were staying at Las Gaviotas (sp?) Do you pick up near that hotel?? What are the conditions like in late July/early August? Any chance of whale sharks or hammerheads that time of year? We hope to dive with when we come down. See you then!!

We can pick you up at any hotel in downtown, usually pick up time is at 7:15 a.m. we go from there to our facilities in Pichilingue bay where the boat departs around 8:15, during this time you can either eat breakfast or just wait for us to load the boat with tanks. Give us a call when you get to town, the number is (612) 1227010, or send us an email at info@clubcantamar.com if you want to make reservations ahead of time, we can also arrange airport transfers for you..

Many years ago I spent a wonderful week diving with the Don Jose liveaboard out of La Paz. I can't remember wether it was May or June, but we found a 1/2 dozen different whale sharks using a spotter plane. We were trying to tag them. I had a wonderful time there even on an un airconditioned boat. The trades were fabulous.

What ever happened to the old boat?

It is still there, still working but everyday it gets older and older, they need to get a newer boat soon because now there is a lot of competition in the liveaboard field. Whale sharks were sighted in huge numbers about 6 years ago and after that they disapeared for several years until september 04 when they came back into La
Paz bay this time to stay. we sent the plane out last week and found 3, sent it again today and found 2.

What is it like to dive the seamounts? How advanced is that type of dive? We are thinking of a trip to Cabo in August and are not familiar with the dive sites in that area. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Cantamar:
...Loreto...the season is about the same as in La Paz, it starts in July and ends in November...

Cantamar, I'm thinking of visiting Loreto in the first week of July (but now maybe La Paz, thanks to your updates.) Since the season just started then, what would be the difference than later in the season? I'm somewhat surprised, honestly, that your local season seems to start and end a couple of months later than the earlier season for Los Cabos. Does the northerly position of La Paz/Loreto make that much difference in the start of the season?

I've been going diving in Los Cabos in the first week of September, after the heart of their season, when the weather is good but the crowds are down. (I don't care for crowds, especially in diving.) Could I find similar conditions in early July in your area?

Cantamar, thank you for offering honest, wide information without over-marketing your own services. That speaks well of you and your operation, and fits right in with what Scubaboard tries to provide.

saludos,
Wayne

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom