Questions about traveling to the Sea of Cortez?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sallas76:
What is it like to dive the seamounts? How advanced is that type of dive? We are thinking of a trip to Cabo in August and are not familiar with the dive sites in that area. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sallas, while I'm sure you'll get good information from Cantamar, I wanted to make sure you knew that there are many good dive and trip reports about Los Cabos in this forum. Among others, our pals hdtran and mtndiver have posted very good reports. You should be able to find them easily with the "Search this forum" link. However, there aren't quite so many reports for La Paz, and very few for Loreto, though.

Based on my experience and the road distance (two-three hrs each way) between Los Cabos and La Paz, you could make a day trip to one from the other, but you really couldn't see them both equally in less than a week. If you're spending more than one week, I'm envious! Here's a link to a good online guide that also contains mileage charts and maps of Baja California:
http://www.bajaquest.com/roads_01.htm

enjoy,
Wayne

Thanks Waterwayne for the info, the maps helped put the area in perspective. We have only four potential diving days so we will have to make the best of them, and as always hope Mother Nature is kind to us. The Pacific except for Hawaii will be new to us as divers. My son is my dive buddy so we enjoy the adventure.

later,
Sallas

Diving the seamounts is definetly an advanced dive, the average depth is 80 ft and sometimes the currents can be strong, i don't recomend to dive this place if you have less than 35 dives. The seamounts are in La Paz, inside the Sea of Cortez, Cabo also have a couple of nice divesites such as Gorda banks but you have to keep in mind that there is a 2.5 hr drive between us and Cabo..

Sorry about the late reply, i am currently out of the country and internet access has been a problem this days.
July is a transition month, the water starts getting warmer and in some dive sites it can be 70 F while in others it can be 82 F ! Later in the season like in early August the water temperature and the visibility are more stable everywhere around so you can expect 84 F and 60 Foot visibility almost on everydive site, this conditions stay until early november when the north winds start blowing.
I think the main difference between La Paz/Loreto and Cabo is that we are located in the Sea of Cortez while Cabo is out in the Pacific ocean, the underwater currents that bring warm water to the sea of cortez affect very diferently this 2 places.

Let me know if i answered your questions correctly

Thanks

Pedro

I'm thinking of going to Cabos and travel around for two weeks late April / early May.

Most live-abords in the are seams to start running in June / July. Is April to "early" for good diving? Highest on my list are schooling hammerheads...

Magnus,

In April, Solmar runs a live-aboard down to the Revillegados (I'm sure I've mangled the spelling). (aka Socorro Islands).

Supposedly a totally awesome experience.

April is too early for the best diving, the water starts warming up in mid july and that is when the visibility also starts improving, hammerhead sharks are found in "El Bajo Seamounts" off of Espiritu Santo island in La Paz, the Socorro trip is also a very good option but is at least 9 days aboard.

Cantamar:
Sorry about the late reply, i am currently out of the country and internet access has been a problem this days.
July is a transition month, the water starts getting warmer and in some dive sites it can be 70 F while in others it can be 82 F ! Later in the season like in early August the water temperature and the visibility are more stable everywhere around so you can expect 84 F and 60 Foot visibility almost on everydive site, this conditions stay until early november when the north winds start blowing.
I think the main difference between La Paz/Loreto and Cabo is that we are located in the Sea of Cortez while Cabo is out in the Pacific ocean, the underwater currents that bring warm water to the sea of cortez affect very diferently this 2 places.

Let me know if i answered your questions correctly

Thanks

Pedro
I dove Cabo and Cabo Pulmo last April 2005 and while the water was cool, not as cold as the high moutain lakes I dive in the USA

had some surge and current at both but not very bad, is that fairly normal for April diving in Cabo Pulmo?

Cantamar:
If you are planning on traveling to the Sea of Cortez in particular to La Paz please do not hesitate in contacting me, i will be more than happy to answer your questions about weather and water conditions, best seasons, etc.

My hubby and I are taking the trip to La Paz in October.......can we plan on seeing Hammerheads?

What is water temp in Aug? And how ruff is it? I tend to get motion sick, but I am getting better. Where to stay? Which place to dive?

Back
Top Bottom