Questions from the sunny Southwest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't need a drysuit. 7mm works great and less expensive, too. If you get a chance, take a weekend trip to the 1000 Islands. The wrecks are plentiful and the scenery is great.

Having a drysuit gives you options. You can dive a drysuit year round' with adjusted layering. While a 7mm might be an easy option during the summer and early fall - you will get cold when the water goes into the 50's & 40's during the late fall and winter months.

X

Yeah, I know all about the options of drysuits but it comes down to simplicity and guts. I've dove dry and I can't say I like all the extra stuff you need, like weights and inflator hoses and undergarments. Then your brand new suit leaks but the factory can't find the leak and you're out of 2 grand. I use a Bare semi-dry 7mm suit with a built in hood and I don't have to worry about any of that other stuff. The only extra thing I have to carry is a thermos of warm water to rejuvenate the water in my suit. I don't have to worry about bathroom issues or flooding my suit and I can make diving somewhat affordable on a musician's salary. When I balance it all out, I can grow some extra hair down below, be a real man, and dive just as comfortably as anyone in a dry suit without half the equipment concerns. If anyone wants to test my fortitude, let me know. Scallop season is coming here in Maine and the local lakes aren't frozen over quite yet.
Also, look at the early pictures of recreational diving. Those early spear fishers weren't even wearing wetsuits.

....and dive just as comfortably as anyone in a dry suit without half the equipment concerns. If anyone wants to test my fortitude, let me know.

Nah, you win!

I'm a wimp when it comes to real suffering, so I'll just have to keep using my drysuit, embarrassing as that may be! :rofl3:

Dave C

The only extra thing I have to carry is a thermos of warm water to rejuvenate the water in my suit. I don't have to worry about bathroom issues or flooding my suit and I can make diving somewhat affordable on a musician's salary. When I balance it all out, I can grow some extra hair down below, be a real man, and dive just as comfortably as anyone in a dry suit without half the equipment concerns. If anyone wants to test my fortitude, let me know. Scallop season is coming here in Maine and the local lakes aren't frozen over quite yet.

LOL!!!:rofl3:

I am not that hairy and do not have the cahones & mental fortitude of a Maine diver. I completely see your point, but after having trained quite a few wet-to-drysuit divers - they swear they can never go back...unless it's a balmy 60F. :D

Also, one of my best drysuits (which has never leaked in over 5 years) is a 400.00 off the rack trilaminate. Sometimes these bargains come around every blue moon or so. I also have a 2600.00 crushed neoprene suit that has visited the factory 2X already and has been dived 10 times! Sometimes it happens, but not often. When it does happen I cry like a little, (excuse the non-pc comment) girl.:girl:

X

Back
Top Bottom