Quick connect fittings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At what % are you willing to take the risk ?

What would be better, a LP quick connect or remove line and plug stage one? Total of 5 flights 2 locations.

The latter, remove the line, then plug, as long as you're able to bring tools with you.

Last edited:
Return it and buy a bigger bag. You're adding failure points in your rig to solve a problem you only have because you bought the wrong bag.

Seriously you're willing to add maintenance and failure points to your rig so it fits better under the airline seat? Think about it....

I understand that theoretically quick connects are a potential point of failure, but does anybody have the actual data on rates of failure per X number of dives or data from other industries that use these?

Data is hard to come by since nobody has a reason to report or collect it. Keep in mind that industry uses many times as many QDs as divers. I would be less concerned with the added failure points than the increased bulk and rigidity they add to the equation. How often do you hear of QDs failing on BCs? Annoying leaks for sure, but failure? It strikes me as too large a compromise just to fit in a transport bag. I have never had much trouble getting gangly regulator assemblies and most other dive gear in a carry-on.

Last edited:
I have no problems with removing the hose, I have o rings & silicone grease. I know a LP hose failure dumps more gas than the HP, that's why im asking. I'm packing for 6 weeks, that's the reason for the laptop/reg bag, will also be a backpack for carry on. Thanks for replies, I think remove and replace is my best option.

Data I don't have.I know that on my FFM I use one that's connected to a 360 degree swilvel,and have around 100 dives on it no problem would I take that quick connect or swivel under the ice or into a cave NEVER.I also have a hose with quick connect on one of my sidemount first stages and carry an extra second stage in a pocket.As a solo diver I like the redundancy.So myself I've never heard of one failing anybody else?

I understand that theoretically quick connects are a potential point of failure, but does anybody have the actual data on rates of failure per X number of dives or data from other industries that use these?

Of course not. Just urban/diver legend.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom